there is no god

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: there is no god

Post by mavisbramston » 21 Jan 2018, 14:54

Remember the onus is on the religious to prove there IS a God not on intellectuals to prove there is not. We have no evidence absolutely no evidence God exists.
It is childish to say things like prove there is NO God.
Intellectual debate does not work that way.
The religious nutters are clutching at straws.
One thing is dertain as Dawkins says forcing religion onto children is child abuse.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 21 Jan 2018, 15:15

Lets not discard religion too quickly, Mavis. Whilst I dont subscribe to the "God" theory, I must confess to a certain grudging respect for the value of religion in society. I believe it is a great grounding for kids in morals and ethics and certainly instills a "moral compass" in most. We place value on Santa Clause, the tooth fairy, easter bunny etc and whilst I dont seek to denigrate religion or relegate peoples beliefs to the value of a myth, I do disagree in teaching kids that the dogma of religion is FACT.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 21 Jan 2018, 16:32

Mavis, you're right. Any spiritual experience a person has cannot be admissible as evidence. An individual can experience great tricks of the brain, easily explained by science and/or psychology. That is why I don't speak much about my one-off incredible experience. Yes, other things have happened that may or may not be exceptional, but this one thing was mind-blowing. Having studied a bit of neuro-science, there's no explanation there. So there's no point in me having posted this, it doesn't do anything for anybody, even if I went into full detail. I myself don't look at it as proof of anything, except "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 21 Jan 2018, 23:28

I do appreciate your comments folks.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 21 Jan 2018, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 21 Jan 2018, 23:29

I try very hard not to upset the religious sensibilities but I dont have to respect their views. I find the whole thing repugant. It seems to be very selective. I have heard of sick people praying and getting better. Miracles? Hardly.
Probability more likely.
Why do some religious people gettheir prayers anwered? Thousands, countless thousands preyed for help yet the holocaust prayers fell on deaf ears. The holocaust was part of Gods plan? Come on!
Men women children prayed for intervention by a spiritual being.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 29 Jan 2018, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 22 Jan 2018, 10:14

Dreamweaver you are right that experience was for you and others would not understand.
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Jan 2018, 10:48

Mavis, I'm sorry that you find the whole thing repugnant. Why not ridiculous, even amusing?
Why not have sympathy for those you deem deluded?
Considering we all have different understandings, indeed different needs, do you want us each to be the same?
What sort of personality would you want us all to be?

You see, in my scenario that means there is nothing more to learn, no purpose to life.
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 29 Jan 2018, 08:45

It is NOT about freedom of religion. Its about freedom FROM religion.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 29 Jan 2018, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 29 Jan 2018, 10:15

My thinking:
TO EACH HIS OWN!
People find comfort in their own beliefs>> Don't Knock them.

A question I've asked before: Cain went to the land of NOD & came back with a wife? Who was her father, if there were only ADAM & EVE & CAIN, when CAIN was sent to NOD? :hitting_wall :text-thankyou:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Jan 2018, 15:09

All religions are full of stories, not many even meant to be factual. One of the stories in Genesis (there are at least two mixed up in there) doesn't even mention Adam, let alone Eve. Just says "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Jan 2018, 15:15

Biggdad wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 10:15
....A question I've asked before: Cain went to the land of NOD & came back with a wife? Who was her father, if there were only ADAM & EVE & CAIN, when CAIN was sent to NOD? :hitting_wall :text-thankyou:

“There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that," Genesis 6:4. :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 29 Jan 2018, 16:37

Dreamy: Only took him 80 years to find a wife, with no mother or father!!! Nice prize for killing his Brother!! :eek :eek

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 29 Jan 2018, 17:08

Why do we have to respect people who are quite simply stupid. They actually believe in sky fairies and invisible friends Its not only stupid its a bastard religion full of hate. Condems gays, women and other minorities. If you dont believe you will be punished. How arrogant. It condones oppression and slavery.
Respect them ...no bloody way. Frankly what a pity they were not finished off in the arena.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Jan 2018, 18:08

You will be pleased to note, Mavis, that you are in the same camp as many professional philosophers! :happy-sunshine:
A 2014 survey by David Chalmers and David Bourget on nearly 1,000 professional philosophers from 99 leading departments of philosophy shows that 73% considered themselves as atheists, 13% considered themselves as theist, and 13% as something else.[52]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 29 Jan 2018, 18:14

All religions fill a need, and for various reasons. Mavis, you and I have no need for them, but others do. Leave them to it.

If religious zealots act against your interests, call them out for it, but don't mention their religion. Call it for what it is: bigotry, intolerance, need for certainty, fear of the unknown, whatever. People use religion to give authority to their views - ignore that and you immediately remove the imprimatur they claim.