Gammy/dicky knee

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Gammy/dicky knee

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Jun 2017, 14:46

Thanks, GF. My levels have tested well so far, but I'll remind them I'm on it. I gather you can eat much what you want with few exceptions (like grapefruit and aspirin) provided it's all part of a regular diet, because they adjust the warfarin dose to compensate. But good to check.
:text-thankyou:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 29 Jun 2017, 16:21

Glucosamine and chondroitin have not been found to be more effective than a placebo.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 29 Jun 2017, 17:49

I believe that Perri as that combination had no effect at all on me and yet I have had people telling me It's nothing short of a miracle for their joints.

I heard Stephen Fry on QI once say 'There's no such thing as pain, it's all in the brain'.
That may well be true......wad'yafink? :icon-mrgreen:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 29 Jun 2017, 18:23

Yes, it's mostly in the brain. Pain is a warning signal, but people react to it according to their experience of pain. The more you're exposed to it when you're young, the less you feel later on.
It's possible to train your mind to ignore pain, though I'm not inclined to pursue that idea.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Jun 2017, 21:34

I was put on it by a doctor, who warned me there was no proof of benefit, but worth a try, I later discontinued it as there was more talk of it being useless and I felt no benefit. But after 6 months I was worse, and was told it usually takes 6 months to be effective, and 6 months to lose the effect. So I've recently started it again!

Looks like not for long, according to your words!
:text-thankyou:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Jun 2017, 21:45

In this review we present and critically evaluate the current information regarding the administration of glucosamine (GL) and chondroitin (CH) for the treatment of knee or hip osteoarthritis. A clinical and radiological effect of GL and CH has been shown. However, only a few high quality trials exist. The effect sizes are small and probably not clinically relevant. The validity of these results is limited by high risk of bias introduced in the studies. Both GL and CH seem to be safe with no serious adverse events but there is currently no convincing information for their efficacy as treatment options in osteoarthritis.
Better suited to other animals?
Animal studies have also supported the anabolic and/or anti-catabolic effect of GL on cartilage. A GL analogue has demonstrated both anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory properties in rats[32]. Another study reports a positive effect on cartilage, enhancing the rate of new proteoglycan synthesis[33] and others have confirmed the effectiveness of GL in delaying the cartilage degradation and the progression and severity of OA[34]. Long-term oral administration of GL sulphate also reduced the destruction of cartilage and upregulation of MMP-3 mRNA in a model of spontaneous osteoarthritis in Harley guinea pigs[30,35]. However, the preparation used in many of in vitro and in vivo studies was not a GL sulphate ester but a preparation in which GL and sulphate occurred as two single molecules in crystalline form[36].
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5241539/

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 30 Jun 2017, 07:10

My doctor prescribed a couple of supplements, one of which was calcium, the other I can't remember. I bought them from the chemist next door - they weren't cheap - and decided to check reputable medical sites for more information when I got home. Turned out both had no effect. I now take his suggestions with a degree of scepticism.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 30 Jun 2017, 13:33

My father had a calcium rich diet, but still developed osteoporosis. We didn't know catalysts were needed for it to be absorbed. I think magnesium and Vit D? And I think, too, it also acts as a catalyst for other nutrients. 8-[

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 30 Jun 2017, 19:49

Calcium sups are good for bone strength but don't expect miracles in cases of osteoarthritis.
I found it much better when using Fishoil 1000mg daily but it takes several months to show any effects.
Fishoil also lowers your cholesterol in the process.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 30 Jun 2017, 21:35

I swear on these Salonpas-Patch-Hisamitsu-Pain-Relieving patches which I use when my crook ankle really gives me gyp - they relieve the pain almost immediately and at less than $10 for a pack I use them as and when needed - I have no idea what is in them other than a lot of menthol based products but they work for me.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Salonpas-Pat ... 2749.l2649
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 01 Jul 2017, 16:54

No progress here, it ebbs and flows. Just when i think its getting better it relapses.
But it does seem to respond to exercise like walking.
Maybe take Terra's tip and rub some emulgel on if it gets bad during the photoshoot.
The forecast is for cold, wind and wet in south australia. bugger!

Have not taken any drugs yet. :lol: :lol:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 01 Jul 2017, 17:29

Have you tried a knee support? It might help keep it warm if nothing else when you're in SA.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 01 Jul 2017, 19:00

Perrorist wrote:
01 Jul 2017, 17:29
Have you tried a knee support? It might help keep it warm if nothing else when you're in SA.
Yes, was thinking about that. i use one on my elbow when whippersnapping, - stops me getting burnt by the exhaust. :lol: :lol:

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 01 Jul 2017, 20:52

Thermoskin.... keeps the heat in ! :twocents-mytwocents:

https://www.amcal.com.au/SearchDisplay? ... :&pageSize:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 06 Jul 2017, 11:07

Made it to south australia alive via twin engine jet. its a miracle i tells ya.
Knee is holding well actually feels a bit better. go figure
scene from the photo shoot: