energy -coal or renewable

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

energy -coal or renewable

Post by terra » 06 Jul 2017, 12:41

Yeah... same old argument !

It's no secret that Australia's electricity prices are through the roof and still going at warp speed towards being unaffordable. The government insists that renewable is the only way to go and that coal powered is out.

.... and yet this link shows a different attitude world wide to increasing use of coal powered electricity :thinking:

http://joannenova.com.au/2017/07/coal-b ... easing-43/

this link courtesy of our Don . :high_fives:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: energy -coal or renewable

Post by Perrorist » 06 Jul 2017, 13:34

Gee whiz, terra, where did you find that site!

The truth is that our government is wedded to coal and pays lip service to renewables, except when the power goes off and then it falsely heaps the blame on SA before waiting a week or so and announcing a non-viable Snowy Mountain Hydro expansion.

We should be going at full speed with renewables, but still the government can't even agree on the Finkel review that it put in place. That report said we needed to lower emissions regardless of energy source, but with the Abbott-led Neanderthals on the back bench spruiking coal, it's not looking promising.

Climate change is far away the most serious threat to the continuation of our species and nowhere near enough is being done to halt its progress.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 06 Jul 2017, 13:45

In my ever so humble opinion cough cough its coal until such
time renewables can provide unhindered baseline power because
folks here about ain't going to cop sitting in the dark and eating cold
Tucker, get my drift and could Tony be right after all. :eek :eek
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 06 Jul 2017, 14:03

Perrorist wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 13:34
Gee whiz, terra, where did you find that site!

The truth is that our government is wedded to coal and pays lip service to renewables, except when the power goes off and then it falsely heaps the blame on SA before waiting a week or so and announcing a non-viable Snowy Mountain Hydro expansion.

We should be going at full speed with renewables, but still the government can't even agree on the Finkel review that it put in place. That report said we needed to lower emissions regardless of energy source, but with the Abbott-led Neanderthals on the back bench spruiking coal, it's not looking promising.

Climate change is far away the most serious threat to the continuation of our species and nowhere near enough is being done to halt its progress.
The site was found by one of our members," Donander".
He doesn't post much these days as he has copped a fair bit of unfair criticism from some of our members in past years.
I consider Don to be a good bloke and has always something good to listen to and sometimes debate..... he has around 7000 posts to his credit on silverpeers so he's not exactly a newbie. :twocents-mytwocents:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Jul 2017, 14:43

GD: Believe me, coal is diminishing to a point where almost all mines will have closed down by mid-century. Gas is replacing it as a standby source, but renewables (wind, hydro, solar, geothermal) are growing at a far faster rate than predicted. The cause of the SA and Vic outage was two-fold: Storms knocked down transmission towers and the responsible energy suppliers couldn't agree on a price for coming to the rescue by bringing an idle plant on line. It had nothing to do with renewables, as the government's own inquiry confirmed.

Terra: I know Don's a stalwart member of this site and he's kept low in recent times. He has nothing to fear from posting his views, but most of us accept the truth of man-made global warming.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 06 Jul 2017, 14:56

.......it's not about the "truth of man made global warming" Perry.

It's about this link which allegedly shows just how many coal-fired stations are in the planning for many other countries. Don't know if it's true or false, just passing on the info on this site which tells it.

Maybe you can find something to cast some non-belief in the site ? :thinking:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Jul 2017, 16:17

I see in that link that most of the new coal initiatives are classed as "announced" or else ""pre-permit development." Both meaning nothing concrete. A fair number of others are labelled "shelved", even "cancelled."

Headlines can cite links to prove their points, but the links don't always support them!
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Jul 2017, 16:23

Good one, DW. The coal investors are resorting to some deceitful advertising at the moment.

Terra, here's something for you: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 00631.html

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 06 Jul 2017, 20:24

Thanks Perry for another side to this topic of coal power increasing.
I'll pass it on to Don. :thumbs_up:
Meanwhile, in the world of Dr Google, all of us can search to our hearts content to get the story that suits..... but how do we tell fact from fiction ? Don't ask me 'cos I dunno.
:thinking:
Edit: for instance, I just googled this dated 2012.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -institute

And this one dated 2015.
http://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2015/1 ... rcapacity/
:hhuuuhhhh
Fact or Fiction ? :hhuuuhhhh

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 06 Jul 2017, 21:11

So let's settle for nuclear power and I am not talking
about such plants as Chernoble, here are some examples.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2016 ... et/6777180
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Jul 2017, 21:18

It can be tricky knowing what's true. My approach is to stick to reliable sources whenever I can.

Those two links are interesting because they refer to plans rather than actual builds. It takes a few years to build a power station and that's after approval has been given. Currently, there are no new commercial- or state-owned installations planned for Australia, which is why the federal government is floating the idea of building one itself, because though it's not commercially viable, it needs an excuse to make a market for the coal companies. The LNP is just looking after its sponsors.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Jul 2017, 21:23

Nuclear fusion has been on the cards for years and it's still not commercially viable, nor is it likely to be for some time to come. Nuclear plants take much longer than coal-fired power stations to bring online, something like 25 years. Renewables are a far cheaper and safer alternative.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 07 Jul 2017, 05:56

terra wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 20:24

Edit: for instance, I just googled this dated 2012.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -institute

And this one dated 2015.
http://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2015/1 ... rcapacity/
:hhuuuhhhh
Fact or Fiction ? :hhuuuhhhh
China's infrastructure approvals have less to do with what's needed than with trying to manage their economy.
“Vast new cities are being built across China at a rate of ten a year, but they remain almost completely uninhabited ghost towns.
Racing to stay ahead of the world economy, is the superpower about to implode?
There are around 64 million empty apartments in China”, claims analyst Gillem Tulloch. It’s all part of the Chinese government’s efforts to keep its economy booming and there are plenty of people who would love to move in but the properties are priced out of the market.”
http://www.globalresearch.ca/china-ghost-cities/5421229
I dream, therefore I am.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 07 Jul 2017, 07:12

I copied this off an American site.Look at this kwh price of their electricity!

"Our bills are pretty easy to "decipher". We live in the country, and our electric service is provided by a rural electrical co-op, which buys electricity from various sources throughout the region...at the best price they can negotiate. On average, we pay about 8.2 cents/KWH, which is substantially less than the 12 cents/KWH that the residents in Kansas City pay, for example. In addition, the co-op has a good web-site, where I can track our hourly/daily.monthly/annual usage, so I can see just how much power we are using, and when.

Our price in aussie is 24cents to 26cents/kwh.

We are being ROBBED!!!! :yeah_right

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 07 Jul 2017, 10:01

We're paying for maladministration of the energy market.