No more plastic bags??

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

No more plastic bags??

Post by Buck_naked » 14 Jul 2017, 20:15

Just saw woolies will phase out plastic bags...and replace with heavier plastic bags
What? still not recyclable /biodegradable?
I use the newer reusable bags, - you put the groceries in the back of the car, drive off, and the bag contents spill all over the place.
So you need a box or boxes to put the bags in, because the bags can't be shut tight. :flaming_mad :flaming_mad

Betty
Bronze Member

Re: No more plastic bags??

Post by Betty » 15 Jul 2017, 07:19

In England, shops stopped giving away free plastic carrier bags in October 2015, Scotland and Wales stopped before this, now if you want a plastic carrier bag you are charged 5p and the money goes to a charity to be decided by the shop....personally I think it is a good idea because it stops a lot of litter in the streets, fields, ditches and rivers because not everyone had a conscience and disposed of the plastic carrier bags responsibly...by charging for plastic carrier bags it has encouraged more and more people to buy proper shopping bags or in the case of supermarket shopping some people use boxes that are specifically designed to fit in the trolley.

I have used my own proper shopping bags for years rather than have the plastic carriers from shops.

The link is to a U.K. Government article about charging for plastic carrier bags.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -5p-charge
A rose by any other name...............

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 15 Jul 2017, 08:48

Buck_naked wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 20:15
Just saw woolies will phase out plastic bags...and replace with heavier plastic bags
What? still not recyclable /biodegradable?
I use the newer reusable bags, - you put the groceries in the back of the car, drive off, and the bag contents spill all over the place.
So you need a box or boxes to put the bags in, because the bags can't be shut tight. :flaming_mad :flaming_mad
My ancient 14 year old Camry has bag hooks in the boot area.....just slip the bag handles over a hook and they don't fall over.
Have a good look in yours Buck.... you might have hooks too.
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 15 Jul 2017, 09:43

My gripe is.... they're replacing single use plastic bags..... with with dual use plastic bags ??
....and they will charge you for them.
:hhuuuhhhh
Bottom line ?... our oceans will still be cluttered with plastic bags regardless of the type.
....and what about plastic covered, "single use" disposable nappies ?
Yeah, ban them too !

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Jul 2017, 11:02

Every year the supermarkets produce around 8 billion of these. Terra, my wife has been using her Aldi plastic bags for years. They're durable.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 15 Jul 2017, 12:25

Terra, No hooks in my car. doh.
Have started my shopping bag journey/collection/clutter with three fine bags: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The orange one is from south australia, the black one is woolies and the blue one is for cold items
needing insulation

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 15 Jul 2017, 13:49

Well they phase out the plastic bags that many of us recycle so that we can buy plastic bags that won't get recycled. Someone is making a quid out of it. I also noticed that the plastic bags that Aldi are now using for fruit and veg are bio-degradable - dissolve away in the sun and rain apparently....so why can't the grocery bag be made like that or better yet bring back the brown paper sacks that were used for groceries in the '60's. I also wondered if they big 3 are going to do away with the plastic bags how are they going to manage the goods for the home deliveries they make ...maybe they will be looking at recycling cardboard cartons.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 15 Jul 2017, 14:17

From time to time I do an on line grocery shop, before I complete the order there is a choice of having plastic carrier bags for which there will be a charge, I always tick no!

When the shopping is delivered it is in plastic crates and the delivery driver will carry the crates (one at a time) into my kitchen whilst the driver is going for the next crate I start to unpack the shopping and so on, at the last crate the driver always help to unpack the crate............I have no problem with that.

Footnote.........before supermarkets started issuing free plastic carrier bags, people always used their own proper shopping bags.
A rose by any other name...............

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 15 Jul 2017, 16:53

The truth about green !

http://www.news.com.au/technology/envir ... 3e18059301

I've just found a few of Coles own brand Calico/Cotton carry bags from about ten years ago..... they were hiding in a storage cupboard in my garage.
Yep !... they're back in service again.
:twocents-mytwocents:

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 15 Jul 2017, 17:14

yes, i agree, the bags should be organic, i also have some calico ones.
Cotton has its issues in production, -water and chemicals, but its still a natural product.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Jul 2017, 17:29

A typical News Limited article. The truth lies near the end. Meanwhile it comes up with this, as though that's all that matters:
The study found it took more material and energy to make the green bags than ordinary single-use plastic bags.
It's the single-use plastic bags that clog up our waterways, add to landfill, and/or end up in the ocean. That's the major environmental concern.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 16 Jul 2017, 11:12

Another hazard believe it or not are balloons. Yes balloons.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 Jul 2017, 11:16

Balloons are a nuisance for what they are, but filling them with helium is depleting a scarce resource. Did you know the world is running out of helium?

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 16 Jul 2017, 13:50

Didnt know that but went to our Healesville sanctuary to view the platypus attraction...tales of platypus creek. They surprised us with the statistics of balloons in our creeks.