1st September, 25th anniversary

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

1st September, 25th anniversary

Post by Dreamweaver » 23 Aug 2017, 01:07

1 September has officially been National Wattle Day since 1992
Since 1992 National Wattle Day has been 1 September in all of Australia's States and Territories.
Before then, Australians in different States have celebrated wattle day on different days between August and September.
Wattles have long had special meanings for Australians and in 1988 the Golden Wattle (Acacia pycnantha) was officially gazetted as Australia's national floral emblem.
In 1992, the first day of September each year was officially declared 'National Wattle Day' throughout Australia by the Commonwealth of Australia.
2010 was the centenary of the celebration of wattle day on 1 September 1910 in NSW, Victoria and South Australia.

This year is the 25th anniversary of the official proclamation of National Wattle Day as 1 September.
Although the first celebration by three states (NSW, Vic and SA) took place in 1910 on 1 September, many celebrated Wattle Day in following years at different times in August and September to coincide with the best blooming of the local wattles.
So how are you going to celebrate this year on Friday 1 September - the first day of spring?
You might like to:
...WEAR a sprig of wattle or Australia's colours of green and gold
...GREET each other with 'Happy Wattle Day'
Or say Happy Australia Day!
...ORGANISE a picnic, lunch, morning/afternoon tea, BBQ or dinner for your family & friends
...GIVE a basket of wattle to someone special
...PLANT a wattle in your garden with your family
If you'd like some ideas for school children (sings, poetry, quizzes, badge-making and other activities) go to: http://www.wattleday.asn.au/for-schools

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: 1st September, 25th anniversary

Post by Warrigal » 23 Aug 2017, 14:45

The wattle tree at the rear of our church bloomed in mid June this year and the flowers are all gone.
I used to have a wattle tree outside my bedroom window and it was the delight of the sulphur cresteds when it went to seed.
Sadly the tree died but the cockies were not to blame. I do miss it though.
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 26 Aug 2017, 19:12

Why can't we have it on 25th September to co-inside with SP's Birthday?

:hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 26 Aug 2017, 23:00

Of course!
:happy-sunshine: