should we become Muslims?

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Re: should we become Muslims?

Post by terra » 29 Aug 2017, 09:41

Dreamweaver wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 21:19
Terra, I apologise for my earlier post in reply to you. You posted a sincere concern and my comments weren't directed at you, but at the author of the cited piece.
:text-imsorry:
Dear Dreamweaver..... no apology required from you at all.
I didn't take your post as being directed at me nor did I direct my post at you.
I'm just sounding off and speaking my mind as most grumpy old men do..... geez, now that begs a question !... is there such a thing as a grumpy old woman ?
:heeheehee
I do however feel that I was too personal with Perry yesterday and did in fact, single him out so I'll say now.... sorry Perry.
My thoughts concerning the internet are genuine.
I do believe that sometimes there is too much information out there and sometimes we glean from it what we can to suit our individual requirements.
I've been guilty of this so often in the past but am now being quite cynical and critical with my trawling for information.
These days, I tend to use google and YouTube a lot to help me fix things such as computers, cars and chainsaws.... I love it
Summing up ?... let's not get too serious here on silverpeers.... just enjoy our verbal/cyber stoushing.
It keeps us young !
:bear_hug
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 29 Aug 2017, 10:12

I wasn't offended, Terra. On the contrary, you were justified in what you said, given what I'd already posted.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 29 Aug 2017, 10:37

:high_fives: :thumbs_up:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 29 Aug 2017, 13:39

Terra old Son, you were on safe ground referring to us as grumpy
old men, then you did it gulp gulp, you brought the girls into it
argh argh. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ But ah say but, regarding cynicism
it comes with age \:D/ \:D/ soooo are we as describes here
(Cynicism) a school of ancient Greek philosophers, the Cynics. :character-oldtimer:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 30 Aug 2017, 11:09

terra wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 12:45
If they prevent you from driving a car....yes, that is a problem for the ladies.
That is just Saudi Arabia and the ladies are fighting back.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 85326.html
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 30 Aug 2017, 17:12

In Saudi Arabia, women are forbidden to drive - it damages our ovaries, apparently.
When my grandmother was young bicycle riding was deemed risky for girls. But see the more modern pronouncements here!
In 1898, a doctor in Berlin wrote in the German Journal of Physical Education that “violent movements of the body can cause a shift in the position and a loosening of the uterus as well as prolapse and bleeding, with resulting sterility, thus defeating a woman’s true purpose in life, i.e., the bringing forth of strong children.”
The myth, however, could’ve developed before Dr. Gerson put pen to paper. During the mid- to late-1800s, as Kathleen E. McCrone writes in her book “Playing the Game: Sport and the Physical Emancipation of English Women, 1870-1914,” a woman’s ovaries and uterus were thought to control her entire nature, from her disposition to her intellectual abilities.
“On the basis of no scientific evidence whatsoever,” McCrone writes, doctors of physiology related biology to behavior, figuring that women who “displayed symptoms of aggression, ambition and competitiveness were incompletely developed and prone to disease.” A woman who engaged in sport, therefore, could be sterile or transmit her unfavorable characteristics to her children who, in turn, would likely be degenerate.
The climate was clearly ripe during the Victorian era for the emergence of the falling uterus myth. But while the fable seems to have developed in the 1800s, what’s truly surprising is how long it has endured.
Katherine Switzer, the first woman to officially run the Boston Marathon in 1967, recalls in her memoir how her high school’s basketball coach—a woman—told her that women would never play the men’s version of basketball because the “excessive number of jump balls could displace the uterus.”
The issue came up again as recently as 2010, when Gian-Franco Kasper, president of the International Ski Federation, commented on ESPN’s Outside the Lines that the female uterus might burst during landing from a ski jump, reiterating a statement he made in a 2005 NPR interview that ski jumping is “not appropriate for ladies from a medical point of view.”
Uterine prolapse, a condition in which the uterus falls out of position, is a real medical issue. The National Institutes of Health, however, do not list exercise as a probable cause.
https://www.outsideonline.com/1783996/m ... ing-uterus

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 31 Aug 2017, 00:09

NO F.....G WAY!

My personality doesn't lend itself to think like a Muslim and hence I will reject the idea.
IMHO, it will take a long, long time for the world to become a Muslim Planet.
Sure, the spread is scary but there will be some adjustments made by Mother Nature if the growth rate starts to exceed available resources.

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.