is sex discrimination alive and well ?

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

is sex discrimination alive and well ?

Post by terra » 20 Feb 2018, 11:00

You bet it is.....
in the year 2018, a woman has been refused service at a barbershop in Brisbane....
because she is a woman !
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-19/b ... er/9461250

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews ... 1519084453
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Trishia

Re: is sex discrimination alive and well ?

Post by Trishia » 20 Feb 2018, 11:06

All that stupid fuss over a hair cut?? WEIRD. Women cut Men's hair, why can't Men cut Women's hair??
I think you are right Terra, discrimination is alive and SICK!

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 20 Feb 2018, 11:34

Regardless of their lame excuse that it's a lease requirement of the shopping centre management to protect three other hair dressing salons..... it is a clear and blatant breach of anti-discrimination laws in Australia.

I say, don't just warn them...... prosecute them as per the requirements of the law and hit 'em hard in the hip pocket ! :character-oldtimer:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :kiss_my_bum: :kiss_my_bum: :kiss_my_bum: :kiss_my_bum: :kiss_my_bum:

"Sex Discrimination Act 1984

Discrimination on the basis of sex, marital or relationship status, pregnancy or potential pregnancy, breastfeeding, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, and intersex status.

Sexual harassment is also prohibited under this Act.
Discrimination in employment, including discrimination against commission agents and contract workers, partnerships, qualifying bodies, registered organisations, employment agencies, education, provision of goods, services and facilities, accommodation, disposal of land, clubs, administration of Commonwealth laws and programs, and superannuation.
"
https://www.humanrights.gov.au/employer ... ation-laws

Leonie

Post by Leonie » 20 Feb 2018, 12:58

It's actually an interesting dilemma, isn't it? Who's really at fault here, the barber or the shopping centre management?

There is definitely a case for discrimination I would think, but against which one? Between them, they've managed to muddy the water quite a bit. One article says a complaint has been lodged with the anti-discrimination commission. I wonder which one it was lodged against. It will be interesting to hear the outcome.

I do feel a bit sorry for the barber in this case.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 Feb 2018, 13:06

It's common for leases to prevent too much competition between similar businesses. It's understandable. However, had I been the barber and someone had pointed out I was cutting a woman's hair, I would have said I didn't realise she was a woman, being as I'm so short-sighted.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 20 Feb 2018, 13:12

Good idea Perri! I'm sure no small business wants to turn away a paying customer these days.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 20 Feb 2018, 14:20

All that I see here is a woman,who is obviously part of a minority group known for protesting their rights,protesting HER rights. She was given an explanation which most fair-minded people would have accepted. She has,subsequently,had her hair cut to her specifications. END OF STORY,so just get on with your life.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 20 Feb 2018, 16:06

Do I detect a hint of animosity here Slaps ?

"All that I see here is a woman,who is obviously part of a minority group known for protesting their rights,protesting HER rights. She was given an explanation which most fair-minded people would have accepted."
Geez... I'm a fair minded person and I don't accept for one minute that the explanation given was acceptable. :thinking:

........is it maybe you don't agree with this lady's stand because she is obviously and blatantly butch ?
Yes, of course she is butch BUT simply pushing her rights to the max and I applaud that !
If we never stand up for what we believe is right, then it won't take long for the weak to be oppressed, down-trodden by corporate power.

I thought this world was all in favour of equal rights whether it be for sexual discrimination, racial discrimination, or the recent granting of gay marriage rights.
Summing up.... the point I'm making is that the law is the law ! .... simple as that.
If a shopping Centre Management blatantly flouts the law by pressuring tenants into signing agreements such as this, then they should be prosecuted.
:twocents-mytwocents:

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 20 Feb 2018, 16:39

No animosity,at all,terra,and I really don't care what her gender,or sexuality,may be. What I see is a story about a woman,refused a service,in a shopping centre because of a clause in a contract. If the story had been about the shopping centre management,I doubt that I would have even bothered to post. As somebody said in the comments section of the ABC report,she would have had a bigger impact if she had been trying to buy a cake from a cake shop.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 20 Feb 2018, 17:27

I don't blame the barber..... he was between a rock and a hard place.
IMHO, the blame rests solely on the Centre Management for pressuring the barber to sign the lease agreement.
To let the Centre Management get away with it is like saying,
"it's OK, you can break the anti-discrimination laws".
Me ?.... I say zero tolerance. :twocents-mytwocents:
I ask you 'peers.... regardless of whether you're a bloke or a sheila,
if you went into a hairdrdresser, or any shop for that matter, and were refused service because of your gender,
what would you do ?
:thinking:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 Feb 2018, 18:32

The lease contract has been changed to exclude that clause. All done and dusted now.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 20 Feb 2018, 18:36

Good onya Perry ! :bear_hug
Nice detective work.... good to have a happy ending ! :high_fives: :wqoohoo

Leonie

Post by Leonie » 20 Feb 2018, 20:53

Good to hear. I love it when we get to hear how things turn out, so often we are left wondering.