We was brung up proper

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Biggdad
Gold Member

We was brung up proper

Post by Biggdad » 07 May 2018, 16:23

WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER !!

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, Bex, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or any cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes,not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags, or in the back of a Ute.

We drank water from the garden hose, or a bubbler and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, or Subway .

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Bubble Gum and some ‘crackers’ to blow up frogs with.

We ate copious biscuits, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with heaps of sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

Out of school we would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was out looking for us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams. Or fruit boxes and ball bearings and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. Our bikes had back pedal brakes, but only for as long as the chain stayed on. We built tree houses and dens and played in creek beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,
No video/DVD films,
No mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms...........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns or cap guns, and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the back door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!
RUGBY and CRICKET had try outs and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on
MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us hard with canes, straps and gym shoes.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla' and ‘Lotus’

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

PS -The big type is because your eyes are not too good at your age.

Can you remember these times too ?
:character-oldtimer: :heeheehee

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Re: We was brung up proper

Post by terra » 07 May 2018, 17:18

Good onya big daddy..... geez, that brings back some good memories of a better time !

......and this bit:

"We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the back door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!"
.....that is so true !
as kids growing up in the late 1940's, we were never allowed to knock on the door of my best mates house.
I stood at the front gate of Johnos house and yelled out in monotonous repetition....
"Johno... Johno.... Johno !
until he came out to play.
Last edited by terra on 07 May 2018, 20:33, edited 3 times in total.
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 07 May 2018, 17:51

Forgot to mention fireworks.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 07 May 2018, 19:25

I love this. Of couse its said we often remember the past as being better than it actually was. Still generally I think much of this makes sense. Great post! :text-thankyou:

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 08 May 2018, 11:11

All too true Big Daddy!

:good_one

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 08 May 2018, 17:03

My memories are similar but different
Biggdad wrote:
07 May 2018, 16:23

WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER !!

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.
Not my mum, or any of my aunties and no asbestos in our 19th century double brick cottage.

They took aspirin, Bex, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or any cancer.
None of the underlined in our house. At least not very much bacon but plenty of mutton chops and minced beef.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
Eh? Mine was timber slats and varnished.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.
Hitch hiking? You've got to be joking! I was never allowed to go bare foot either except at the pool or the beach

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags, or in the back of a Ute.
We was too poor to own a car, and when I did get to ride in one I got carsick after 10 minutes.

We drank water from the garden hose, or a bubbler and NOT from a bottle.
Pay that one. And a drink of milk at every meal.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, or Subway .
Fish and chips for sure and Chinese takeaway was fairly common. Just not in our house. The occasional greasy Joe hamburger was on our menu.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!
5.30pm where I lived but our house was next to a small mixed business with residence at the rear, We could always knock on the back door and ask "Auntie Flo" to sell us something important, like a brick of ice cream.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
???? Shared a milkshake maybe, with two straws, and only if w had enough money.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Bubble Gum and some ‘crackers’ to blow up frogs with.
I wasn't that enterprising.

We ate copious biscuits, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with heaps of sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
True, except for the copious amounts of soft drink. Water, milk or tea were the standard drinks in our house. As a treat we could have an ice cream sundae when taken out somewhere.

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
Are you forgetting hours spent reading, or listening to serials on the radio?

Out of school we would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.
What about lunch?

No one was out looking for us all day. And we were O.K.
I played hopscotch and fly with my friends on the road, cowboys and Indians perched in the oak tree in the chook yard, spent hours on the swings at the local park where we had to dodge the broken beer bottles left by the town drunks and went to the pictures and council pool without adult supervision. Unlike the Beaumont children, we survived.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams. Or fruit boxes and ball bearings and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. Our bikes had back pedal brakes, but only for as long as the chain stayed on. We built tree houses and dens and played in creek beds with matchbox cars.
Billy carts? Our cubby house built behind a mate's outside dunny was where we filled balloons with hydrogen that we made by dropping zinc pellets into a bottle of conc. HCl. It's a wonder we all still have our eyesight.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,
No video/DVD films,
No TV at all, just grandfather's very big valve driven radio in a big wooden cabinet.

No mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms...........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
No phone at all. Had to walk round to the next street with sixpence to make a call. Friends either lived closeby or were in the same class at school. If they moved house they were lost forever.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.
Not me. I could climb without falling. I did fall off my bike once while making a right hand turn in the middle of Bankstown and lost a lot of skin, but no broken bones.

Only girls had pierced ears!
Not this girl. Parents considered it unAustralian.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
Worms and mud pies? Are you crazy? We handled worms and played mud pies but the only thing we ate that was unusual were the "plum puddings" that we picked from the grass at the park. They were probably the source of the occasional infestation of worms in our guts.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...
True and Easter eggs were for Sunday and hot cross buns for Thursday, or was it Friday?

We were given air guns or cap guns, and catapults for our 10th birthdays,
I had to save up and buy my own cap gun. It was a Davy Crockett cap rifle. Before that I just pointed my fingers and yelled 'bang bang'.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the back door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
I mostly rode my bike to a distant tennis court and one day I dropped my racquet and it fell into the spokes of the front wheel. The wheel was cactus but the racquet was only a little bit warped.

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!
Yes she did. She worked Fridays and Saturday mornings at the ham and beef shop making sandwiches and occasionally catered for balls and weddings.

RUGBY and CRICKET had try outs and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT
Mum made sure that win or lose I had to display the same expression. No crying and no exultation either. Both were considered unseemly. However, when it came to physical culture merit often gave way to body shape.

Our teachers used to hit us hard with canes, straps and gym shoes.
Not often in my case. Mostly because I was in girls only classes with female teachers. Only male teachers were allowed to wield the cane. I was caned just once before I was too old for it to be legal any more. From 12 on girls could not receive corporal punishment.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
Never tested this but if I complained that I had been unjustly punished for something I didn't do, Mum would say that "that just made up for a time when you did something and didn't get caught".

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla' and ‘Lotus’
You think being named Dexter, Septimus, Gertrude or Ethel is better?

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL !
Except how not to get pregnant.

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!
What for? That I survived relatively unscathed is down to good luck. I just blundered my way through childhood.

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

PS -The big type is because your eyes are not too good at your age.
:lol: You're not wrong about that.

Can you remember these times too ?
:character-oldtimer: :heeheehee
Vividly. Thanks for reviving some memories..
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 08 May 2018, 17:56

you people musta been part of the 1%.
We was so poor we had no electricity, no sewage, no running water, no takeway food, no restaurants, no bikes.
The only luxury i can remember was the free milk given to us at the school. :character-oldtimer:
Last edited by Buck_naked on 08 May 2018, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 08 May 2018, 18:22

I was born early on in WW2 in the English East Midlands. We were within a mile of an armaments factory, so had to endure regular bombings. They never succeeded in hitting the factory, but they destroyed whole rows of houses that I used to pass on my way home from school. We played in the ruins, throwing stones at other groups of kids on the pretense we were throwing hand grenades at the jerries. A few kids had eye damage as a result.

Biggdad's list wasn't dissimilar to what we experienced otherwise. For the most part, children are surprisingly resilient. Most of us survive and live useful lives. In years to come, someone will post a similar list, except it will be very much updated.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 09 May 2018, 15:11

Makes you wonder how we survived so well.eh. :good_one
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89