PLASTIC

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

lynny
Diamond Member

PLASTIC

Post by lynny » 06 Jun 2018, 13:50

In 2003 Coles Bay on Tassie's East coast became the first town in Australia to ban the plastic bag to address the problem of litter in the area.
Mr Kearney, then a bakery owner and president of the local tourism association, led the campaign, with retailers in the area adopting reusable paper bags and calico bags as alternatives.
In the intervening years he has continued to be involved in pushing for changes in state and federal legislation to limit the usage of plastic bags.

That was 15 years ago.....and now a whale allegedly starves to death with 80 plastic bags in its stomach.

This family of mine have been making a concerted effort to reduce our use of plastic but it's everywhere. How on earth can it be stopped?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: PLASTIC

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Jun 2018, 17:49

15 years ago! :flaming_mad
Sometimes I despair of the human race. Except I know so many who do care.

I think that while replacement of plastic is slow getting off the ground, two other things are more hopeful. The recycling of plastic into roads, furniture etc will stop a lot from causing damage. And the clean up of the sea and waterways is gathering speed. Then in tine we won't produce more, but how long to wait?
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Jun 2018, 17:52

What about a return to cloth nappies for the kids? Women"s sanitary napkins, and incontinence products?
I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 06 Jun 2018, 19:58

I’m afraid nobody wants to wash nappies anymore and I can see that the convenience of disposables would be hard to give up. The manufacturers must come up with alternatives but then again profit is everything. I find it all very depressing.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Jun 2018, 20:54

The environment plays second fiddle to profits.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 07 Jun 2018, 14:25

I am certain that there are penalties associated with littering. Maybe,the answer to the unemployment issue is to employ people to enforce the rules.
Governments,and councils,are quick to make laws,but rarely employ anyone to enforce them.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 08 Jun 2018, 09:19

Environmental groups say the Australian government lacks leadership in tackling marine plastic pollution with no new national threat abatement plan three years after the existing one was declared a failure by a federal scientific committee.

And I agree! I don’t know what our useless government are doing about anything except looking after themselves.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 08 Jun 2018, 10:58

They're afraid to upset their donors, especially oil companies.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 17 Jun 2018, 10:17

There is some good news. I love the way most Aussies are embracing the shift to getting rid of pastic bags

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 17 Jun 2018, 16:57

I'm glad people are trying Mavis but plastic bags are just the tip of the iceberg really. However, we've got to start somewhere. I just wish they could find different ways to sell stuff with that plastic packaging that's really hard to get into. :hitting_wall

It needs a daring Government with some foresight.......but fat chance of finding one here.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Jun 2018, 17:42

I hate those hard plastic shells they place around hardware items. You need bolt cutters to break them open.

BTW, at the recent G7, they agreed to try to reduce plastics getting into the oceans, all that is except the US and Japan: U.S., Japan decline to sign G7 agreement to reduce plastic waste in oceans

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 18 Jun 2018, 03:42

No doubt plastic may become a problem someday. Maybe we could fish it our of the oceans. What will we do with the plastic we pull from the world's waters. Have we invented something we can't destroy? Where do all of Hong Kong and Singapore's plastic go. Where does Japan's plastic go. Who is putting plastic into the oceans other than ships? It would appear the USA and Japan don't consider plastic a major problem yet. Who is on their own going to give up and quit making plastic. Plastic bags are given out in all stores in Oklahoma, USA. We will be the next to last government enity to realize plastic isproblem, the last to do anything about it. That's a prediction. Is plastic a by product of something? Over here, we'll have to asked Trump and he's not real friendly to the environment.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Jun 2018, 07:26

Plastics are made from oil. Most are recyclable. Plastic products, from drinking straws to fast food containers, are washed into the sea from rivers, beaches, and boats. Eight million tons of plastic enter the ocean each year, causing considerable harm to marine life and sea birds (over 90% have some plastic in their stomachs).

In Australia, we're finally starting to get to grips with single-use plastic items. In NSW there's now a ban on single-use plastic bags, and you have to take your own bags to the supermarket. I think that's true for most Australian states and territories. Australians were previously using 4 billion plastic bags each year.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 18 Jun 2018, 10:15

It's not just supermarkets that contribute to the plastic society.
Most hospital medical equipment is sealed in plastic after sterilization.
New syringes, bandages, dressings etc are sealed in plastic to ensure sterile condition of the item.
I bought a new large screen TV a few weeks ago.
The amount of plastic wrapping within the carton was crazy. Warranty card, instructions booklet, remote control, AAA batteries, mounting screws were all sealed in their own little bags.
.....and that didn't include the masses of styrene packing.

..... another unecessary plastic wrapped item I spotted in Coles last week was
one of those long cucumbers.... Telegraph Cucumbers I think they're called.
Well, each individual cucumber was shrink-wrapped in plastic.
Why ?...
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 18 Jun 2018, 12:35

After spending a few nights in hospital I was gobsmacked at the amount of waste there is both in plastic and paper. How they would ever reduce their waste and keep things sterile I can’t imagine.

It’s good to see that MacDonalds are cutting out drinking straws though!