The shape of water

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

The shape of water

Post by mavisbramston » 13 Mar 2018, 09:55

I know there are a few movie buffs here. I finally got to see THE SHAPE OF WATER.
VISUALLY the film is stunning. I will avoid spoilers if I can but by now most know it involves a creature rather like the old fifties movie Creature from the black lagoon. It is a quirky beautiful love story.
Its a homage to movies like Creature from the black lagoon, ET, Fred and Ginger movies and even a RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK style villian brilliantly played by Michael Shannon. Its a beautiful performance loaded in nostalgic cliche. Shannon chews up the set with relish. Great stuff, pure cinema.
The movie however belongs to Sally Hawkins as the mute girl. Its a warm heart felt performance and. you feel for her and her discovery of love. There are so many layers in her performance. The whole movie cherishes the sounds of silence.
Visually the film is stunning. There is an under water love scene which is beautiful but I cannot say more. The sixties decor and haunting atmosphere of the aquatic work place is extraordinary.
Its wonderful that the academy awarded a film like MOONLIGHT last year best picture. Humanity won over hype.
This year the academy proved it was prepared to award art and fantasy an award. Shape of wateris an unconventional love story in dull conventional Trump world. A brave movie to make today. The mute girl and the monster are outcasts united by silence and the safety and beauty of water. There are lovely messages in the film relevant to all of us but its never preachy.
Call me by your name was my favoroute movie this year but Shape of water was a worthy choice. =D=

Trishia

Re: The shape of water

Post by Trishia » 13 Mar 2018, 11:04

Thanks Mavis, I have been trying to get to that Movie, but, the Cinemas near us have had it screening at such stupid times. I will get to it when possible. It sounds like my sort of Movie.
I really like "Beauty and the Beast when it was showing. Emma Watson was fabulous in that.
Regards,
:happy-sunshine: :good_luck

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: The shape of water

Post by mavisbramston » 13 Mar 2018, 11:35

Tricia I agree about Beauty and the Beast.
Another movie I recommend is CALL ME BY YOUR NAME. It wont appeal to many here but I think you and a few others will love it.
Please see SHAPE OF WATER.
The movie is special.