Beautiful Pages of a Late Medieval Monk’s Sketchbook

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Beautiful Pages of a Late Medieval Monk’s Sketchbook

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Mar 2017, 17:49

In these pages, a 15th-century monk living in southwest Germany tested ideas for the creation of illuminated manuscripts. The website Public Domain Review recently featured images from this book, known as The Illuminated Sketchbook of Stephan Schriber, which is held by the Bavarian State Library in Munich.

The monk-artist produced this sketchbook at the tail end of the 1,000-year age of illuminated manuscripts, a type of book production that was to die out as the Renaissance moved forward and the printing press took over. In the last few centuries of the tradition, such manuscripts were often produced commercially, rather than by monks, as had been the case in earlier years.

These pages show an artist trying out animal motifs, practicing curlicued embellishments, and drafting beautiful presentations of the capital letters that would begin a section, page, or paragraph.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/20 ... hbook.html
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Re: Beautiful Pages of a Late Medieval Monk’s Sketchbook

Post by godfather » 13 Mar 2017, 21:07

Really great art work by this monk.
I actually do remember that during my school time we had to learn how to draw some of the capital letters for opening paragraphs.
Not easy and I never did become a master at it!

:eek :eek :eek
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Re: Beautiful Pages of a Late Medieval Monk’s Sketchbook

Post by Teddy » 14 Mar 2017, 11:28

Lovely, like a beautiful stained glass window. Thank you for sharing Dreamweaver. :icon_biggrin: