Adopting rescue pet

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Adopting rescue pet

Post by mavisbramston » 11 Jul 2017, 22:18

May I have your input folks.
I want to adopt a cat or a dog. I want a rescue dog or cat even one a bit older.
Has anyone had any experience with adopting an older pet.?

Biggdad
Gold Member

Re: Adopting rescue pet

Post by Biggdad » 11 Jul 2017, 22:26

Ring the RSPCA =D=

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 12 Jul 2017, 08:48

True s ir but just wondering if anyone hadany personal experiences. I mean if a pet has been given up for adoption am I wrong to assume there may be a reason.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 12 Jul 2017, 16:24

Mavis : why I like the RSPCA is that these Animals need a home because they only have so long before they are put
down, so they really need a friend; I have had a couple of dogs from them. :text-thankyou:

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 12 Jul 2017, 16:48

old pet = vet bills.
like pensioners 'cept there ain't no taxpayer to pay the bills. :lol: :lol:

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 12 Jul 2017, 17:38

Have you thought about adopting a retired greyhound. Don't laugh Mavis,they are known for being extremely faithful pets.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Pamela

Post by Pamela » 12 Jul 2017, 19:53

I would agree with Slapsy about a retired greyhound. I had one a few years back and he was lovely dog. They don't require anymore exercise than any other dog and are really happiest when sprawled out on the settee. :lol: At first he didn't show any signs of affection towards me or my family but then he hadn't been a pet so wasn't used to receiving or giving affection but after a few days of fussing and attention that soon changed. I'd definitely recommend one.

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 13 Jul 2017, 00:02

Many years ago my ex husband and myself kept a racing grey hound, although he was entered into races he was also treated like a pet and was very docile and affectionate, I would also recommend having one as a pet.

On the other hand we adopted a dog from a dogs home many years ago, she was a border collie cross and had been abandoned and we estimated her to be approx 2 years old when she came to us, I soon found out she had never been house trained which I had to do and was successful at , she was a very affectionate and happy bitch and we had her about 14 years before she became ill and after a visit to the vets we unfortunately had to have her put down, the nice thing is, she lived a happy life with plenty of affection.
A rose by any other name...............

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 13 Jul 2017, 10:21

Mavis, we adopted a grey tabby cat of 3 years old, from a local Animal Shelter. He was found wandering the streets by the council ranger.
He was the best and most loving Cat we have ever had. He had a lovely nature and fitted into our household wonderfully.
Unfortunately after 8 years, we had to put the poor fellow down, as he was sick, and the vet said he would be in pain for the rest of his time.
That was 5 years ago, and I still miss him We don't feel like getting another one, as none would come up to his standard.
Unfortunately, we had two bad experiences with cats from the shelter, who were strays and were a bit vicious. After being scratched and bitten a few times we took them back. We should have been told they were strays. That is one thing to watch. :good_luck

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 13 Jul 2017, 20:36

Slapsy wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 17:38
Have you thought about adopting a retired greyhound. Don't laugh Mavis,they are known for being extremely faithful pets.
No not laughing at all slapsy .it is a great idea. We are giving it a bit of time to think it over. We appreciate all the wonderful comments folks

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 15 Jul 2017, 14:04

Just about all of my pets over the past 15 years have been rescues and with the exception of KD my latest squeeze they have also been abused as well. If you have the time, patience and love to give them it is most rewarding to see them blossom and start to enjoy life again. The beauty of taking on an older pet is that they fit in with our lifestyle as we get older. As a rule they don't dig holes, chew shoes or pee on the carpets like the puppies do, but they are slower, might have some health issues and could be going deaf/blind but none of that affects their ability to love and offer companionship and loyalty.

KD is the oldest dog I have taken on - he is 8 years old and still has a bit of cheekiness in him but not real naughtiness. He is quite an obedient boy, we love him to bits and Ellyssa (now 13) thinks he is the bees knees...he is old enough to respect her age but young enough to put a bit of life into her day with some games of chasey and tug.
HEART STEALER.jpg
Go adopt a senior - you won't be sorry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 16 Jul 2017, 21:27

What beautiful posts. Thank you all so much. We are taking our time with this decision.