Nostalgic cinema

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Nostalgic cinema

Post by mavisbramston » 20 Oct 2017, 10:44

I think mum called them hour shows. Mum took me often to the newsreal cinemas.
The screenings were continuous one hour sessions and you could come and leave when ever you liked.
There was the Times, Albany and the Star in Melbourne. There may have been others. Of course in Launceston they had the Tatler these were two hour continuous screenings.
You would see a cartoon news reel Pete Smith short or the three stooges. Other shorts included Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy.
They also had what they called featurettes ...often boring (today they would be delightfully quaint). These were often about agriculture. I remember the kookaburrahs before the news.
Do you folk have memories of the news reel cinemas in your state.
I wonder if they had them in larger regional towns.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Nostalgic cinema

Post by Dreamweaver » 20 Oct 2017, 11:28

None in Ballarat, our nearest city, but yes our cinemas showed newsreals and travelogues before the main feature. War-time petrol rationing precluded trips to Melbourne, but I was there once as a child and Mum pointed out such a theatre. Also took me to see the Coliseum and the other one with a notable interior - the name eludes me.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 20 Oct 2017, 11:56

Cant recall the Colleseum. Was it the Capitial .
The capitol had the the Burley aGriffin interior. You can wtill see it on appointment. Its now only used by students and a comedy festival venue. Was the theatre you think f the Forum? You looked up and saw stars.
Its a pet topic of mine lol. Thanks very much for your interest Dream. I know it possibly will only grab the nostalgia fans.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 20 Oct 2017, 12:46

This is great for my tired old grey cells Dream. Thank you. I need it. :happy-sunshine:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 20 Oct 2017, 22:20

Old Timers disease is my failing. The name I forgot was the State, I think. Image
http://www.caths.org.au/cinemasvic/melb/melb.htm
The State Theatre 154 Flinders St. Melbourne

The State Theatre opened 22/2/1929, screening sound films from 6/4/1929 until 1962. The State closed 8/3/1962 and was then divided into the Rapallo (former circle, seating 627) and the Forum (former stalls, seating 944). Refurbished 1981 as Forum 1 & Forum 2. Closed 1986 and used by a religious group. Sold in 1995 to the Marriner Group, the theatre was restored and refurbished, and reopened July 1996. Now mostly used as a live music/theatre venue, although still used for the Melbourne Film Festival (1996-2013+). The venue now has a National Trust classification and is recorded by Historic Buildings Preservation Council.
Grecian pillars and statues, a starry sky above? Now renamed the Forum?

The other must have been the Capitol, but my memory shows a ceiling of blocks illuminated with different coloured lights, not quite like the one illustrated.
http://www.caths.org.au/cinemasvic/capitol/capitol1.htm
http://www.caths.org.au/cinemasvic/capitol/capitol2.htm

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 21 Oct 2017, 19:06

Oh how I loved The State. Thank you so much

Those stars were amazing. =D=

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Oct 2017, 11:09

There was another name and function of the news reel cinemas.
Bit naughty though.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 23 Oct 2017, 15:23

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 23 Oct 2017, 16:03

There was one of those newsreel cinemas in Birmingham England when I was growing up in the 50s and I remember walking past it thinking it was a real mystical palace of a place. Later on I realised that every one of the homeless and disposessed went there straight from the Seamans Mission or the YMCA to the flea pit as it was fondly known, along with every oddball and pervert and those looking for 'company'. Its aroma was as bad as it's reputation apparently.

The good old days

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Oct 2017, 20:40

Boy the Capri looks lovely dream. Looks like a trip is needed.
Lynny these cinemas had that function lol. Not during holidays though. I loved the holiday shows because they screened ten cartoons, !

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Oct 2017, 20:46

lynny wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 16:03
There was one of those newsreel cinemas in Birmingham England when I was growing up in the 50s and I remember walking past it thinking it was a real mystical palace of a place. Later on I realised that every one of the homeless and disposessed went there straight from the Seamans Mission or the YMCA to the flea pit as it was fondly known, along with every oddball and pervert and those looking for 'company'. Its aroma was as bad as it's reputation apparently.

The good old days
Lynny there was one in Launceston called the Tatler.They had some lovely cinemas there such as the Majestic.
Of course in Hobart you have the oldest theatrein Australia. I love the Royal.