Days of the week.

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Days of the week.

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Jan 2018, 15:52

The Roman days of the week, translated into English, were
Sunday
Moonday
Marsday
Mercuryday
Joveday(orJupiterday)
Venusday
Saturnday.

Think of French lundi, mardi, mercredi, jeudi and vendredi,

The Anglo-Saxons kept
Saturnday
Sunday
Moonday

but introduced
Tiw's day. Tiw was probably associated with warfare, just like the Roman god Mars.
Woden's Day. Woden is paralleled with the Roman god Mercury, probably because both gods shared attributes of eloquence, the ability to travel, and the guardianship of the dead.
Thunor’s day, or, to give the word its Old English form, Thunresdæg “the day of Thunder”. This sits beside the Latin dies Iovis, the day of Jove or Jupiter. Both of these gods are associated with thunder in their respective mythologies.
(Thor's day? Thor was a Norse god, but still might have had something to do with how it developed.)
Frig's day. Frig, goddess of love and affection, was chosen to pair with the Roman deity Venus, who was likewise associated with love and sex.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Days of the week.

Post by Perrorist » 03 Jan 2018, 16:49

The Greens are pushing for a four-day week. Perhaps a calendar change could do that.

godfather
Diamond Member

Re: Days of the week.

Post by godfather » 06 Jan 2018, 00:58

Interesting how our days have emerged. Great detective work DW!

As far as my inside knowledge goes we will soon only have weekends because there won't be any work at all.
Everything will be controlled by computers and you can do that from home, aka the pool, the pub, the golf course and the bed!

Well, almost everything anyway!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.