Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Oct 2015, 19:56

The modern European gene pool was formed when three ancient populations mixed within the last 7,000 years, Nature journal reports.

Blue-eyed, swarthy hunters mingled with
brown-eyed, pale skinned farmers as the latter swept into Europe from the Near East.

But another, mysterious population with Siberian affinities also contributed to the genetic landscape of the continent.
This additional "tribe" is the most enigmatic and, surprisingly, is related to Native Americans.
  • Pigmentation genes carried by the hunters and farmers showed that, while the dark hair, brown eyes and pale skin of the early farmer would look familiar to us, the hunter-gatherers would stand out if we saw them on a street today.

"It really does look like the indigenous West European hunter gatherers had this striking combination of dark skin and blue eyes that doesn't exist any more," Prof Reich told BBC News.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29213892

My blue eyed father got very sun-bronzed in our summer-time harvesting work. Some people joked he must be Spanish, but he had only northern ancestors. Now I wonder if he had genes similar to North American Indians!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Oct 2017, 14:26

I recently had my DNA tested, and the results led me back to the above post,
which related to http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29213892

My dna results differed to some degree from my son's. His showed a lot of Iberian, which we traced to a Portuguese marriage
by one of my ‘fairly’ recent ancestors.
My test however gave 97%European (62% west & central, 28% British, 7% Scandinavian) - Trace of Finnish, Nth America

Iberian didn’t show up.

Now I read that Britain being mainly Anglo-Saxon was a misconception, as a huge proportion of Brits have a high degree of Iberian ancestry!

What I found hard to believe, however, was the trace of N.American!
But of course N.America was invaded by peoples from Siberia or somewhere there abouts, driving previous residents south.
They might even fit in with my trace of Finnish!

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 22 Oct 2017, 16:11

It would be interesting to map that against the paths that language groups moved across the globe.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Oct 2017, 18:13

Maps of Europe’s ancient tribes, kingdoms and Y-DNA, showing snapshots of Europe’s likely dominant or notable Y-DNA haplogroups
around 7000 BC, 2000 BC, 117 AD and 1227 AD.

http://www.abroadintheyard.com/maps-of- ... and-y-dna/