Atheist, or agnostic?

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Atheist, or agnostic?

Post by grandduke » 19 Apr 2017, 15:20

This was taken from a very long subject on the matter
in theosophy and i thought it shone a light on peoples
views and opinions.
The “God” Question
Does God exist?

DO YOU BELIEVE IN GOD?

Every civilization and culture has had its own idea and concept of God.
Can any of them say for definite that their particular view of God was the right one? How can they know for sure? Their “God” has always been the product and outcome of their own thoughts, opinions, and imaginations about the subject.
The Jewish God has always corresponded to Jewish thought, the Christian God has always corresponded to Christian thought, the Muslim God has always corresponded to Muslim thought, and so on.
Even people belonging to one religion have somewhat different ideas of God.
And when people worship or pray to their God, what is it they are really worshipping and praying to? Their own idea of God, the mental image in their own imagination.
Yet they insist that this God of their imagination is the only true God. They say that anyone who does not believe in the God of their own conception does not really believe in God at all. Some people even say that everyone who does not believe in and worship this “God” will be eternally damned.
What matters is we exist and we are spirit manifesting in flesh, so God is spirit and everything evolves from that universal point however from that standpoint I'm speculating like everyone else see. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ bugger if i know. :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Aug 2017, 01:07

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 05 Aug 2017, 12:32

Interesting that a country's aspect of their god is so often a reflection of itself - a harsh god where there is a harsh climate, such as in desert or polar regions; a god who has fertility rites in fertile lands; etc. And the nature of the god reflects the psyche of the believers - if you are vengeful, compassionate,deranged, whatever, so will your god be. Thus we get some gods who have contradictory attributes, such as being just and merciful simultaneously! :lol:

Then their are people who don't realise what they are worshipping, which may be money, power, etc, or things like humanity, peace, nature, fair dealing, and so on. Gods don't have to be persons, but are often attributes, sometimes personified.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 05 Aug 2017, 13:23

Gods, worship, what are these people clinging to, have they forgotten
they alone chose this existence and all other existences they may be involved in, are they not aware the God they seek is in every atom of
the universe and thus in them keeping them alive, wake up folks. :character-oldtimer:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 05 Aug 2017, 18:58

Interesting observation, DW.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 08 Aug 2017, 14:25

grandduke wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 13:54
Me to Terra i know a different story about the Christ before
it was corrupted by the early church fathers to suit themselves.

After Jesus said after receiving the vinegar----it is finished.
Vinegar? Why. Was he making pickled onions? Seriously everyone love reading this thread.