Dreamweaver for you.

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

grandduke
Diamond Member

Dreamweaver for you.

Post by grandduke » 24 Sep 2017, 15:04

One of the famous “Mahavakyas” or “Great Sayings” of Hinduism is “Ayam Atma Brahman” – “This Atman is Brahman.” Long ages of Christian conditioning in the West has resulted in many people, even when they turn away from organised religion and embrace the idea of the Higher Self, struggling to comprehend or accept the notion that our Higher Self is not a “part” or a “portion” or a “separated offshoot” of the Divine but rather that It IS the Divine Itself. Yes, “Tat tvam asi” – “You are That” – to quote another of the Upanishadic Mahavakyas.
Since that is the case, the Higher Self never does anything. Nor is anything ever done to the Self. There is nothing for It to do, except to be, and It “be,” for IT ALONE IS.
One of the most celebrated symbolic illustrations in Indian history is that of “two golden birds perched on the selfsame tree,” found in a number of the Upanishads and perhaps expressed most clearly in the great Mundaka Upanishad, a scripture of real esoteric brilliance. One of the birds is the jiva (the reincarnating Ego, the human soul) and the other is the Atman (pure eternal Spirit, our Real Self, the One Universal Self of all).
“The former eats the sweet and sour fruits of the tree of life while the latter looks on in detachment, without eating.” It is explained that when we fall into the illusion and delusion of identifying ourselves with the personal and individual nature, “we feel attached and fall into sorrow. But realise that you are the Self, the Lord of life, and you will be freed from sorrow. When you realise that you are the Self, supreme source of light, supreme source of love, you transcend the duality of life and enter into the unitive state.
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Dreamweaver for you.

Post by Dreamweaver » 24 Sep 2017, 18:03

A bit too deep for me, Dukey!

Having looked into the 5 major world religions - Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam - i have come to the conclusion that the biggest differences in belief are within each religion, not between them. Each has literalists, mystics, extreme fundamentalists, liberal free-thinkers, and so on. Each believes in a creative force that isn't fully understood, above and beyond any pantheon of 'gods', hosts of heaven, angels, whatever.

I will say that Hinduism, the oldest, does seem to retain something scientific handed down, with some distortion. A Hindu friend told me that when she went to university and quantum physics was introduced, she was already familiar with it through the ancient teachings.

But Hinduism as practised is a medley of Hind or Indian beliefs grown up in lots of little villages. Gautama had been conferring with much more well informed Hindu thinkers, and some say that what he taught was really a consensus of their opinion, which was not a religion in itself, but a philosophy, which was adapted to Hinduism - but just as adaptable to other religions.

If I had any advice to those of spiritual bent unsure where their path lies, I would say to follow whatever beliefs feel culturally right for you - they all hold truths - but incorporate where you can the Buddhist philosophies. And I am not a Buddhist!

So thank you GD for your post. In our culture it is possibly easier to understand similar thought that does make an appearance in Christian writings, but even then isn't for everyone. My own aim is just to live and learn from life, and be of use where I can, and don't worry about trying to understand it all!
:icon_biggrin:

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 24 Sep 2017, 20:31

I have read it before many times about seeing through the
curtain the illusion to the reality beyond, I had an experience
many years ago---one of inner vision whereby I could see
360 degrees without moving my head. 8-[ 8-[
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 25 Sep 2017, 12:56

Dukey, some of our politicians can still see all 360 degrees because there is nothing inside their heads that blocks the vision!

Joke Joyce!

:eek :eek :eek
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 07 Oct 2017, 00:23