Christmas Memories

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Bronze Member

Christmas Memories

Post by mavisbramston » 25 Dec 2017, 09:43

Christmas as a kid was wonderful.
I loved Foys and Myer rooftop fun. The place was pure magic.All over now just a sad train that goes around in a circle. The train at Myer took you through a grotto and inside a pumpkin!
The huge Santa outside Foys.
Really icy cold malteds at the Classic cafe in Flinde rs street. Lunch at the pixi inn, or wild cherry cafe.
Coles clangy noisy cafe. The crispy batter on the fish. Never seen again.
Sundaes at Hilliers and real sodas from a soda fountain.
Mum created a Christmas diorama in the fire place. True magic.
A real Christmas tree. Dad cut a branch from a huge pine tree down the road. We dragged it home.
Best of all the wondrous pantos at the Tivoli. The Tivoli remains my most magical place
I recall most of my child hood so well. Pity I cant remember wtf I did last week.
Oh and I loved the smells of mums cooking and dads cigarettes.
Trips to the metro picture house. We called movies pictures back then. Loved the huge Metro picture house with Disney movies.
The news reel cinemas. The Times and the Albany.
Double features at the pictures.
I still say merry christmas but happy holidays is fine too.

Love to know your memories.

Re: Christmas Memories

Post by Trishia » 25 Dec 2017, 10:04

Thank you Mavis for the wonderful memories of your childhood Christmas.
My memories are of my poor Mother cooking a big Turkey and the accompaniments over a hot wood stove on days about 38-40degs in todays scale.
The kitchen was boiling hot. We ate in an open air vestibule which was also fairly warm.
I remember being able to drink as much soft drink as I wanted. Later when I got to about 16, I was allowed to have an alcoholic drink. My Father believed that kids should be taught to drink sensibly.
I never saw him drunk, but he loved a beer, or sherry now and then.
This training worked with my eldest brother and myself, but the other 2 brothers were both drunks when they grew up, and both died early from drink related problems.
I hope you have a lovely day, KEEP WELL AND HAPPY. :happy-sunshine:

Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 25 Dec 2017, 11:14

Same to you Tricia and your support and kindness to our family and your support for marriage equality has never been forgotten. You are a great lady :happy-sunshine:

Post by Perrorist » 25 Dec 2017, 11:55

I've had some strange Xmas Days. The one I remember most was less that three months after my father died. My mother fell ill on Xmas Eve, and was unable to rise from her bed. I was the eldest at 11 of her three boys, and was charged with cooking the Xmas dinner. I spent the morning running up and down the stairs getting instructions. I managed to get the turkey cooked, as well as baked potatoes, brussel sprouts, and peas. She had her dinner in bed, but didn't eat much because she was sick, but the rest of us were properly fed, which is what she wanted.

Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 25 Dec 2017, 13:18

Chicken with stuffing. We didn't get it every day of the week back then and it was so much better.
Stirring the Xmas pudd and making a wish. Tasting it after Mom had tipped the stout in.
Dad setting the pudding alight.
A big bowl of nuts and those tricky nut crackers.
Real candles on a real christmas tree. Health n safety.....wots that?
Great presents that lasted us for ever. Just one. Not a pile of cheap tat.
Real crackers with bad jokes
The smell of Grandad's pipe and Dad's cigar.
Running to the window every 5 mins to see if it had snowed........

I notice I've used the word 'real' a lot. We're trying to get real again this year.
Fingers crossed then.

Have a happy and safe Christmas in the 'realist' way you can everyone. :cheers:

Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 25 Dec 2017, 22:19

Everyone admired our shapely Xmas tree each year. They didn't know that Dad had bored holes in a pole, to hold well chosen 'branches' cut from a live tree. Easier than bringing home a large branch, and more effective. :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.