Whats in store

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Whats in store

Post by mavisbramston » 26 Dec 2017, 10:31

As we start a new year my greatest fear is a growing swing to the extreme right.
Trump Brexit and a growing hate of minorities.
A contempt for science.
More so called free speech where people insist its ok to use cruel language which is hurtful in the name of free speech.
I am so tired of a world where good and decent people standing up for the vulnerable are viciiosly labelled do gooders.
A growing contempt for political correctness without thinking through the issues. Hatespeechisnot tobe seen as free speech.
A dangerous lack of respect for science. When it comes to climate change ignorant people in denial actually think they know more than highly educated scientists.
Lets not vaccinate children because scientists know nothing!

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Whats in store

Post by Perrorist » 26 Dec 2017, 11:00

I agree, there's worse still in the offing, but there's also a developing backlash against neoliberalism and its damage to society. It may be after I'm gone, but it's coming.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 26 Dec 2017, 11:29

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 26 Dec 2017, 11:38

On the other hand there is hope. Many people this year stood up for equality. I never thought it would happen.
There are so many people who do care about issues like climate change etc.
Just because one is older you do not have to hop onto the right wing conservative bandwagon. I find this constantly on silver peers. The site is wonderfully progressive
Other senior sites are too horrid.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 07 Jan 2018, 21:32

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, aka the Trump administration's resident Keebler elf, is wreaking havoc on progress. How bad is it? Newsbroke explains. Come for the update on the regressive agenda, stay for all the times Francesca does her best Southern accent.
video under 7 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRiWtCOuIIQ