About God.

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Teddy
Diamond Member

Re: About God.

Post by Teddy » 20 Mar 2018, 16:18

Kfchugo there is a supreme intelligent being. There is order & constancy in our world. Scientists who predicts re satellites,Astronomours
re how long before the next eclipse.You can buy booklets that predict high &low tides for year to come.They all give evidence of order..Your garden reveals there is a being that makes that order.Left to itself your garden would become a jungle of weeds,but as soon as you see a row of carrots & another of lettuce, I don't need to ask "did this just happen? "There is a being, your clever son or nephew has the ability & intelligence to make this happen.
The only thing that is random in our world is mankind. Nature follows the pattern dictated by the seasons. But man does ridicules things. We build our cities on flood plains& then blame God when a flood happens. We build our houses on fire prone areas or on fault lines & complain about an "act of God "Some drunk fool or drug impacted hoon drives his car & kills a load of innocent people. We ask "if there's a God why did he allow this? "Random mankind is it's own worst enemy. Mankind is out of order & this causes all kind of breakdown & chaos. The second issue, if we can accept there is purpose & order n our world, we need to ask ourselves, why do I exist or what is the purpose of my life. Christians believe that Jesus came to reveal the nature of God but also the purpose of mankind. He showed compassion, love & mercy. But he didn't compel men do anything. They are able to make a choice ,good or bad. He invited them to follow his example. People talk about the ten commandments, but Jesus summarised the
purpose of of man in two smple sententences.Love God & love your neighbours.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 Mar 2018, 18:06

There is no purpose or order. We think there is, because we project our attempts at understanding onto what we see. There are many forms of life and they're all bent on survival, which is life's primary force. Yes, you'll find patterns in nature, but there's nothing unusual about that. Why shouldn't there be patterns?

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 20 Mar 2018, 22:42

There is a balance, did anyone watch the show on the ABC the human body
very interesting and all to do with balance and survival. :happy-sunshine:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 21 Mar 2018, 18:49

This is all too deep for me............probably why I am an atheist. :heeheehee
A rose by any other name...............

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Mar 2018, 11:13

I am enjoying reading your comments.
I am an atheist like betty. I find the idea of God repugnant. If they believed in a nice God that would be ok but mostly he is egotistical and dogmatic. You have to believe me or you will be denied entry to heaven. Heaven sounds awful. You praise God all day and sing his praises. I hate the idea ..if everyone who ever lived lives there real estate must be difficult to come by. Very over crowded. I hate the idea of living forever up there in crowded conditions and running into people on earth I hated.
The Budhist faith is quite nice but the others ghastly.
Pro slavery, anti gay antiwomen, one rule fits all. Silly
Still religion seems to bring happiness to some and providing they dont pass it on to others.
I DO DRAW THE LINE AT PASSING RELIGION TO CHILDREN. Richard Dawkins calls it child abuse...it is.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 23 Mar 2018, 12:16

Perhaps you should go to North Korea Mavis where it's a crime to be a Christian ?! P.S. I hate religion too, religion is your way of life, Communism is a religion, which I think you could be confusing with Christianity, as only Christianity dares to make God's love unconditional, it is called Grace! :icon_biggrin:

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 23 Mar 2018, 14:41

But Teddy, all there is in its true form is unconditional love. :happy-sunshine: :character-oldtimer:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 Mar 2018, 16:11

grandduke wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 14:41
But Teddy, all there is in its true form is unconditional love.
Tell that to Peter Dutton!

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Mar 2018, 19:54

Simply not true.
Communism is a political form, maybe a theory but it is not a religion. It has much merit however I drifted away from Communism years ago and mainly because it did not give me all the answers It failed in practice. Great theory though.'

Christianity seems to appeal to some of you. Odd.

On a positive note I rather enjoy chatting about religion .

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 23 Mar 2018, 21:12

Religion is always an interesting subject. I am constantly amazed at the number of people who are not content to maintain their beliefs and live their lives accordingly, but feel a need to convert others to their way of thinking. To my mind, there is no such thing as the "word of God" - we have no reliable witness account of it, only fables thousands of years old. What passes for the "word of God" these days is the word of men purporting to know Gods will and speaking on his behalf. The Catholic Church is possibly the most fabulously wealthy organisation on the planet, yet they are constantly seeking donations - THAT should tell people something. Most other religions whilst doing good in the world also seem to have amassed fortunes along the way.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 24 Mar 2018, 13:32

Kfhugo you are a remarkable poster. There are times I totally disagree and times I am shouting bravo. That last post was a ripper. Personally I think people who believe this sky fairy stuff are ridiculously delusional

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 24 Mar 2018, 15:36

In the first instance, I am quite surprised at the mileage this first post got
so religion is important to many millions of people and much is contributed
goodwill is available to the world. For myself, I find great freedom for having
no attachment to religion while at the same time respecting the belief of others
but let me say this of God, he/she has nothing to do with the affairs of humanity
that is left to Karmic law whereby we are the creators of our own destiny, my
source Hindu philosophy-----take the time to read it you may learn something
tallyho and all that. chin chin. \:D/ \:D/ :character-oldtimer:
George Bernard Shaw

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 24 Mar 2018, 18:30

Because religion has so much power and the delusional ones spread their hate under the disguise of chritianity . I believe you can be godfree if you try. We need to rescue people from pathetic cults like catholisism . I am starting a new organisation helping people to be godfree SFRS. SKY FAIRY RESCUE SQUAD. .

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 24 Mar 2018, 20:57

Whether you are christian or not,you are judged by only one rule. Your respect for your fellow human being. Without respect for others, you get none back in return.

.....Cheers
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 25 Mar 2018, 09:06

I totally agree slapsy.....regardless of our own beliefs, we need to acknowledge and respect the beliefs of others. Everyone has some kind of faith, philosophy or belief system and whatever guides us through life is worthy of respect. Without wishing to become maudlin, we do need to embrace humanity, love each other and try to do good in this world.....if someone bows down each day to pray to Buddah, Jehova, Allah, Jesus etc., etc what does that matter so long as they live a good life and treat others as they would wish to be treated.