About God.

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: About God.

Post by Perrorist » 01 Apr 2018, 20:34

"The human brain is a complex organ with the wonderful power of enabling man to find reasons for continuing to believe whatever it is that he wants to believe."
-- Voltaire

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 01 Apr 2018, 20:41

Beats me, Dreamweaver. There is an interesting phenomenon referred to as the "internal monologue"......our thoughts are a voice rattling around in our heads and if we think those thoughts worthwhile (and socially acceptable) we might give them verbal life. Is this our soul talking to us? Personally, I think humanity overthinks all this.....we are what we are and failure to understand all or part of that does not make it divine - I continue to believe that when we die, its like someone turning out the lights. Thats "all she wrote". It is supreme arrogance to believe that we are so important that some small spark of our so-called intellect has eternal properties.
For those that believe otherwise, you have my respect and admiration and I sincerely hope you are right.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 01 Apr 2018, 21:01

Hugo, The Hindus believe in Karma the universal law of cause and effect whereby we write
our own script on how we think, speak, and treat our fellow human beings, yes I like that
it suits my way of thinking if we wish to treat other poorly then it will eventually come back
to haunt us, justice delivered. :icon-mrgreen: :icon-mrgreen:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 01 Apr 2018, 23:41

Sorry, Granduke but I must disagree. There is mountains of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. How many people do good all their lives, treat others well, avoid "sin" etc only to die an agonising death from cancer or such like. Also, there are those who are career criminals,they steal, rape,murder and anything else you might think of.......yet they often live comfortable lives and die peacefully in there sleep. Where is "karma" in these instances. Its all well and good to say that "the Universe" keeps all things in balance, but I am very much a "doubting Thomas".....I need to see the proof.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 02 Apr 2018, 06:48

The Buddhist have an eight fold plan
The Hindu doctrine is Karma
The Jewish & Muslim a code of Law- each of these offer a way to earn approval
Only Christianity dares to make God's love unconditional.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 02 Apr 2018, 08:47

I am sure that the citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah will be happy to hear that.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 02 Apr 2018, 08:56

kfchugo, It is called Grace (God's righteousness at Christ's expense)

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Apr 2018, 09:19

We can discuss this until there's only one of us left and yet no-one will have changed their mind as a result.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 02 Apr 2018, 11:05

No Perrorist,but it is God who changes peoples Hearts! :icon_biggrin:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Apr 2018, 12:21

Hugo, re karma, it is supposed to be calculated over more than one lifetime, as during the first one other people's karma is also factored in.
Not preaching that, just read it! :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Apr 2018, 12:26

You're a true believer, Teddy!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Apr 2018, 12:36

Perrorist wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 09:19
We can discuss this until there's only one of us left and yet no-one will have changed their mind as a result.
If you watched the old "Monkey" tv series, you will remember 'With our thoughts we make the world.' Not necessarily the world of others, but perhaps our own? I am so much against anyone trying to change another's mind about such things, that may not be anything to do with their world at all. There is only one thing I hold as a law for all humanity, to 'treat others with the same respect you would wish for your self.' :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Apr 2018, 13:11

Thinking about the tv series "Monkey," The horse represents the physical body. Pigsy represents the emotional self interested aspect, Sandy the thoughtful reasoning aspect, and Monkey the motivational aspect, All working together for Tripitaka, the three in one spirit of wisdom, love and power. .
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 02 Apr 2018, 14:45

I certainly dont preach or try to sway others to my way of thinking. Who knows, there may be squillions of people in the afterlife saying "Aha.....I told you so". I merely express my opinions based on the facts and information I have available to me. There are countless cults, religions, philosophies etc on the planet and I remain eager to be convinced that any or all of them have some divine provenance, but give me FACTS and EVIDENCE, not simply "I believe this to be so" or that it is written in this book or that scripture or carved into a cave wall somewhere.
I respect the beliefs of others and apart from the odd reference to the "supreme fairy", I try not to criticise or denigrate them. I cannot prove the validity of or demonstrate proof of my beliefs, but neither can anyone else. Some peoples beliefs are so strong however that they cannot countenance even the possibility of other points of view. :text-thankyou:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Apr 2018, 17:57

:good_one