sandwiches

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

sandwiches

Post by mavisbramston » 26 Sep 2016, 20:56

It seems everyone loves sandwiches. I am often amzed by the diversity.
Love to know about your odd sandwich tastes.
A popular Dutch sandwich is made by putting a much loved biscuit called speculas between two slices of bread and butter. This has been so popular hey now made specula spread which is a biyt like a biscuity paste.
My personal favorite sandwich is vegemite and sliced onion.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: sandwiches

Post by mavisbramston » 30 Sep 2016, 09:42

well that went well rofl. :lol:
What I love about forums is the way you win a few lose a few.
Sometimes you post a topic which you think no one will like and it hits the moon.
Others like this one go down the gurgler.
I guess its not the greatest topic since sliced bread.
No not grizzling in fact the whole thing is fun.
I never worry about this. On another site a couple of ladies get quite upset if there are no takers.
Might get a beer and a cheese sandwich and move on.
I guess you all know where your breads buttered and dont want to loaf around reading this.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 30 Sep 2016, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 30 Sep 2016, 11:08

Wouldn't like to hurt your feelings Mavis.My favourite sandwich, goes back a long way, when as a student & any of us had any money, there was a Greek café down the street ,their speciality, Toasted Ham sandwiches. The thick slice of bread would be toasted, then sliced through the centre, then the untoasted part, buttered, the Ham added, cut into triangles, delicious.
I made one last night (with a dash of Keen's mustard!)tasted ok, didn't look as attractive as the Greek Cafe's one. Try one mavis,unless you're a Vegetarian! :icon_biggrin:

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 30 Sep 2016, 12:12

for years when I was working my fave was cream cheese, pineapple and gherkin on rye - probably ate that 4 days out of 5 and still do on occasions although the ones I make don't seem to taste as good as I remember the ones from a little sandwich shop at Miranda.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 30 Sep 2016, 12:20

Teddy Greek cafes!!!
What a beautiful memory> I remember them so well. Are there any of the real traditional ones left. Mahalia thank you and I am going to try it.
No not vegetarian thats a whole different issue. I struggle with it every day. I am a hypocrite. I love animals yet eat meat. Seriously I am rather ashamed.
Your ham sanwich sounds yummy.
Does the Greek cafe still exist?

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 30 Sep 2016, 13:02

I rather like toast with vegemite and peanut butter yum. :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 30 Sep 2016, 14:49

mavisbramston wrote: No not vegetarian thats a whole different issue. I struggle with it every day. I am a hypocrite. I love animals yet eat meat. Seriously I am rather ashamed.
There you go, describing me to a T!
8-[

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 30 Sep 2016, 16:03

I have very little to say in my defence . I have vegan friends and they put forward great arguments.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 30 Sep 2016, 17:17

Mavis, I too know a few vegans - they all seem to be skinny as a rake and are always falling ill. They seem to catch every bug going around. Their "healthy life choice" does not seem so healthy to me. I believe that like many other species, humans are carnivores or more precisely, omnivores. We are descended from hunter/gatherers and a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle contradicts the basics of our evolution.
Once again, this is just my personal opinion and I dont denigrate the life choices of others if vegetarianism "floats your boat" who am I to preach. We each do what we feel is best for us.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 30 Sep 2016, 20:16

I often wonder if we all stopped eating pigs sheep cattle what would happen to them. A bit simplistic i guess but ...
Last edited by mavisbramston on 01 Oct 2016, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 30 Sep 2016, 21:46

Well, there are so many cows, pigs, sheep, chickens etc..... if we suddenly stopped eating them, there may not be enough food to go around. Who knows......they may well wind up eating US. :lol:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 01 Oct 2016, 05:46

If we stopped eating them, there would be fewer, because farmers wouldn't want them, so they would all be slaughtered.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 01 Oct 2016, 10:41

Then,once the slaughter started,Mike Baird would ban the eating of meat,eh. :twocents-mytwocents:
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 01 Oct 2016, 11:42

Two thick slices of wholemeal>>hot English mustard> Ham & tasty Cheese>Toasted on a sandwich press!
:wqoohoo :character-oldtimer: :thank_you:
WHEN YOU TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER.Image

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 01 Oct 2016, 11:59

Two slices of sourdough,spread thickly with pesto,spanish onion and mashed potato,topped with tasty cheese. Put it under the griller until the cheese is melted,and enjoy. ... Delicious.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89