What a friend we have in cheeses

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

What a friend we have in cheeses

Post by mavisbramston » 18 Feb 2017, 10:57

There are so many wonderful cheeses. I dont mind admitting I love the good old Kraft cheddar we were all brought up on, especially toasted.
Love to know some of your favourite cheeses and tips.
Here is one I love. It comes from the English chef Rick Stein.
I love English Stilton. Its a rich blue vein with its own sharp distinctive flavour.
Rick Steins serving suggested sounded ghastly to me until I tried it. It seemed sacriligious to do this to such a delicious sharp cheese. But it works beautifully. Serve the stilton with honey. Yes you read it correctly HONEY. Maybe your reaction was the same as mine. Also add some toasted walnuts. I find walnuts from the packet always need to be freshened up a bit. Put them in the air fryer (the best kitchen gadget ever ) for about three minutes. You could just dry fry them in a pan. Now put a generous portion of stilton on a small plate, drizzle honey around the plate or if you like next to the cheese and top with walnuts. You can serve as is or with fresh crusty bread or crackers. Once you try this you wont like stilton any other way. Thanks Rick Stein.

lynny
Diamond Member

Re: What a friend we have in cheeses

Post by lynny » 18 Feb 2017, 11:56

A chunk of cheddar on a thick slice of fruit cake. Or on a McVities digestive biscuit. \:D/

That's the slight sweetness with cheese again isnt it......

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 18 Feb 2017, 12:35

Mmmm fruit cake with cheese. Mmm must try that. Whats your favourite cheese. Mine is defintely gorgonzolla. On a slice of crusty roll with dried or fresh fig and a glass of good wine.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 18 Feb 2017, 14:39

local brush turkey recommends Hillview cheddar from woolies, $6/kilo.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 18 Feb 2017, 16:20

Wow. I love those birds.