Shoes

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Shoes

Post by mavisbramston » 07 Apr 2017, 18:21

Do you request visitors remove their shoes when they enter your house.?

Slapsy

Re: Shoes

Post by Slapsy » 07 Apr 2017, 22:10

My house is a home,so NO I do not request,or expect,people to remove their shoes when entering.

However,I do know people who's only concern is the resale value of their house. They do insist on people removing their shoes,so get few visitors.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 08 Apr 2017, 06:55

Only if they're entering a carpeted area.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 08 Apr 2017, 07:42

In a rural area with muddy gum boots, people take their boots off.
noticed in grand designs with kevin mcleod 'boot rooms' are popular.
place to take off your boots and hang up your raincoat.
in my dreams... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 08 Apr 2017, 08:48

And gun rooms.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 08 Apr 2017, 09:18

Some friends always leave their shoes outside, which makes me feel I should follow suit when visiting there. But they say that's not obligatory, as their action is symbolic - leaving the dust and cares of the outer world behind as they step into their home.
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 08 Apr 2017, 18:05

In most Asian countries shoes are removed. Often when viewing houses they ask you to remove shoes. Thats ok but I object to them not having a chair or stool to sit on while shoes. Its not so easy for some of us. I like the idea but I very much doubt my Australian friends would like it.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 10 Apr 2017, 12:47

Different rules for different locations.
:twocents-mytwocents:
In my part of the world, a semi-rural/regional area, where mud, cowshit and dirt abounds, many homes have a "mud room" at the house entrance where boots and coats can be removed and hung on pegs before entering the house.
Most people are savvy when it comes to visiting your home and do the right thing without asking.

I don't have a mud room as such, but at the front verandah door, I have a shoe rack which is under cover and protected from the elements. Our local folk aren't dumb and we leave it to them to decide whether their shoes need to come off or not. If it's fine weather and they are wearing their "good" clobber & shoes, then it's fine to come straight in.
I've noticed that our local tradies always take their boots off before entering homes.

It's a matter of common sense really !
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 10 Apr 2017, 14:50

I play lawn bowls,and when I was good enough to play pennants,and championships,we would often have to travel to a local club right in the middle of dairy farming country. It is not there now,but this club used to have what was called the "farmers bar". It was a tiled area,where the local farmers would come,after the afternoon milking,to have a beer. They would come just as they were at the end of milking,so you could imagine the mess when they left. The bar staff would just get the fire hose out,hose everything down,and it would be ready for the next day.

The area has now been over-run by housing development,and a great tradition has died.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 10 Apr 2017, 14:56

Geez slaps.... that reminds me of the old days when all pubs had tiled floors and walls. Just hose it out at the end of the day !

:wqoohoo
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 10 Apr 2017, 20:32

Terra, that's still done every day at The Tennant Creek Hotel after closing.
Sometimes they have to wash the bodies out as well!

:thank_you: :thank_you: :thank_you:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 11 Apr 2017, 12:57

That could have been the case at Jamberoo too,GF. There could have been anything in that mess. I can assure you of one thing though, The grass around the bowling greens used to always be green.

:roflmao: :roflmao: