The F word.

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: The F word.

Post by mavisbramston » 19 Aug 2017, 10:25

Ouch. LOL
Last edited by mavisbramston on 23 Aug 2017, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 Aug 2017, 10:31

I wasn't always accepting of these words. Being brought up to consider a word offensive, it was hurtful to hear it, that this person had so little respect for me. If aimed at me with intent to hurt, it was almost like a physical blow. I had to hear them often enough to become desensitised, to start the slow process of realising they are just ordinary words that our culture has banned.

I can't blame anyone for being a product of their culture in other attitudes, either.
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 19 Aug 2017, 17:00

Back to the discussion.
My argument is actually academic and its interesting delving into the origins of the F word.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 22 Aug 2017, 00:22

I am the culprit who censored the swear words and I don't make any apologies for it!

However, I will try and explain why they were censored when we started this forum.

Firstly, it was 25-9-2005 when we went to air the very first time.
That is 12 years ago in a few weeks from now.

Secondly, when one starts a NEW forum you do not want to gather too many posters who find it enjoyable to use swear words in an aggressive context or to intimidate other members. This is one reason why we have been successful in gathering intelligent and cooperative members, something I am personally very proud of today. Just look at some other forums and you will see a big difference in members attitudes.

Thirdly, the initial membership of S.P. had a much larger number of female members, not necessarily prudes but respectful people who no doubt would have been less interested to remain members if every 2nd word was to be a posted swear word. Times change and so do attitudes and acceptances of less strict censoring.

I have no problem with swear words but only use them when I am totally upset, aggravated or suddenly have become illiterate.
I am all in favour of Perry's action to remove the restrictions.

It has always been the idea that if you wish for some changes then speak up or it will never change. Take notice of the fact that this is Silverpeers, a forum built for mature people to use their brains in a sensible fashion!

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Aug 2017, 09:30

I really appreciate your comments as usual GF. Personally I see no place for censorship and have absolutely no problem with colourful language.
I was in a production once and the whole cast were in hot water with the vice squad over a few words and lack of garments lol. I was cute back then. I like to keep my anonimity but it was ridiculous?

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 23 Aug 2017, 09:51

WTF .... !
:eek call me old fashioned but I don't swear in front of women, nor do I go out of my way to use that language even when in the company of men.
I usually mutter it under my breath when dealing with idiot drivers on the roads.
..... sometimes I say "it's f****d" to describe something that's broken.

I don't agree with it being freely used on various TV programs as early as 7 pm at night.
Not good for our kids.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuck
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 23 Aug 2017, 12:51

Good attitude, Terra! There are quite a few things I wouldn't do or say, though I don't mind what others say or do - within limitations! :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 23 Aug 2017, 18:03

Thanks DW :text-thankyou:

everything in moderation ? :icon-mrgreen:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 23 Aug 2017, 18:32

I was told many many years ago that the 'F' word was an acronym devised by police in America and it stood for ... For unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

Not sure how true it is but knowing how the police in USA seem to reduce all criminal incidents down to numbers/codes etc I thought it may have been true.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 Aug 2017, 20:33

It predates the formation of the USA by a few hundred years, so that's unlikely.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Aug 2017, 21:23

Thanks for your interest in this topic.
Of course vulgarity is not new. The ancient Greeks performed plays about chasing women around the ampitheatre with huge errections. Chaucer was certainly rather colourful. Of course the bawdiest of all was Shakespeare. In Macbeth the porter delivers a whole speech about sexual impotence.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 27 Aug 2017, 17:20

Somehow I think the king of Australian television the brilliant Graham Kennedy who was frequently ostacised by the moral guardians would have got away with the famous crow calls today..or maybe not.

Phantom

Post by Phantom » 13 Dec 2017, 13:03

I thought my computer was fucked but I fixed the fucker
Sometimes I wake up grumpy
Other times I let her sleep

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 13 Dec 2017, 13:31

Phantom...... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 13 Dec 2017, 15:54

Phantom tests the water to see if SPs has a censor button
:icon-mrgreen: