Food recalls

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

godfather
Diamond Member

Food recalls

Post by godfather » 03 Feb 2011, 21:09

Found this very interesting Government web site which is updated regularly.

It will list any food recalls in Australia with full details!

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consume ... elrecalls/

Second thoughts, I'll make it a sticky!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Food recalls

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Feb 2011, 03:43

Good to see them doing their job.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 04 Feb 2011, 11:48

As I am not allergic to peanuts, I am not too worried about those ones, but are all those fish recalls trying to tell us something, I wonder? And metal, medications in food? Yuk! I wonder where the fish came from though?

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 04 Feb 2011, 13:59

When I learned that Basa came from the Mekong River in Vietnam...I switched off! I love eating fish but that really turned my stomach. I stick to local catches now, but I guess even that is suspect these days.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 04 Feb 2011, 21:21

I have seen the Basa farms in the Mekong river, and yes, they are disgustingly filthy!!
The problem with fish is that many varieties have several names. Some names are known to be a "NO - NO" whereas other names for the same fish don't ring a bell with consumers.

The only advice I have for people who love seafood (and that includes - little old moi!), buy your supplies from a local fish shop.
Know your local fish, pick the whole fish and have it filleted. Most fishos will do that for free, and if you are desperate and have no local fisho nearby, buy only labelled fish from Woolies and Coles.

Finicky? Absolutely, because seafood is the easiest product to contaminate!

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 05 Feb 2011, 11:28

thanks for that site gf.amen to that re fish.was horrified last night watching tv,to see all those apples from China.ugh!unless an apple has australia,no thank you :yuk

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 07 Feb 2011, 21:53

True, Teddy, I am very scared about foreign foods coming into Australia. I was tripping around the World in one of my jobs and did see some unbelievable practices
which we would never entertain here in a million years. However, I do know that Australia is importing some of those products fresh and frozen.
Yes, we do inspect all foreign goods, at least 20% of them, and take samples for testing. Many are safe to eat but it only takes one 'rotten apple' to spoil the lot!

A warning to take serious, stay away from imported fresh asparagus, broccoli and snow peas.

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 07 Feb 2011, 21:55

Why, GF? What can they do to a raw vegetable?

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 07 Feb 2011, 22:04

Dawn, my dear, in China it is permitted to use raw sewerage as a fertiliser!

.......and there are millions upon millions of Chinese to manufacture such a commodity!

:flaming_mad

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 07 Feb 2011, 22:14

But the plant doesn't take it up as raw sewerage, it takes up the minerals and vitamins it uses. The rest is surely washed off? Would it be permitted into this country if it was seen to be dangerous for human consumption?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 07 Feb 2011, 22:22

I agree Dawn, but what worries me is contamination in the harvesting, with that soil content. I don't know that simple cold water washing would help much, but I see no problem with vegies that are cooked.

I see more problem with fish from polluted waters there.
I dream, therefore I am.

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 08 Feb 2011, 05:07

It's getting harder and harder to know where foods come from. I try to eat domestic when I can. I avoid fish and foods from all of Asia. This is based on what I have seen regarding their production. Still, I don't think we can always know here in the U.S. You have to do the best you can. Right now I'd settle for a big bowl of oatmeal, hot with a butter melting on top, half and half, a little sugar, a couple slices of honey-nut bread, buttered and toasted, and three slices of bacon. A hot cup of coffee would be nice and go well. :lol

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 08 Feb 2011, 07:37

And that's breakfast, blimey hawks what do you eat for the rest of the day. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 08 Feb 2011, 09:55

Thanks Godfather. I've passed that link on to my address list. :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 08 Feb 2011, 10:52

hawkeye wrote:It's getting harder and harder to know where foods come from. I try to eat domestic when I can. I avoid fish and foods from all of Asia. This is based on what I have seen regarding their production. Still, I don't think we can always know here in the U.S. You have to do the best you can. Right now I'd settle for a big bowl of oatmeal, hot with a butter melting on top, half and half, a little sugar, a couple slices of honey-nut bread, buttered and toasted, and three slices of bacon. A hot cup of coffee would be nice and go well. :lol
That puts my two Weetbix with fat reduced milk and a cup of tea in the shade, Hawks! No wonder I feel hungry 2 hours before lunch! :lol:
Last edited by Maggs on 08 Feb 2011, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.