Food recalls

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

godfather
Diamond Member

Re: Food recalls

Post by godfather » 11 Feb 2011, 19:54

Teddy, my dear, could you explain the last sentence in your post please.

I just thought that the only difference between pink and red salmon was the costs!

think-smiley
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 12 Feb 2011, 17:11

gf,normally i would only use red salmon on special occasions,such as a salad or sandwiches.nutritionally there isn't a great deal of difference,the red has a slightly higher fat content,which might be the reason a better flavour,also more omega 3,but no reason why pink shouldn't be used for salads or sandwiches,as you say,the red is more costly,had my mind been on what i was doing,i certainly wouldn't have been using it for cooking.the pink is excellent value compared costwise, at either coles,aldi or woollies. :biggrin:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 12 Feb 2011, 17:59

GF, you may well be right. Although in their natural state they vary in colour according to how rich their diet has been (krill, shrimp, etc) the salmon raised on fish farms are given artificial coloring in their food!

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 13 Feb 2011, 21:06

Thanks Teddy, that makes sense. I thought for a moment that the red salmon had much more benefits because it costs so much more.

I love both varieties but usually buy the pink one for value!

DW, I hadn't thought of that one. Thanks and its probably true too!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 04 Jan 2012, 18:41

ABC news last night,Heinz shifting it's company to NZ ?160 losing their jobs + 3 Tomato farmers suppliers to Heinz!

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 04 Jan 2012, 20:35

I heard that too, Teddy. I believe there will be even more canned food from China arriving soon under the Heinz label as well. :hitting_wall
So, check the cans and if it says "Packed in NZ from imported and local goods" you can be certain that it is produced in China.
Personally, I buy very few canned veggies except Chickpeas from Italy and Asparagus from Peru, the rest is fresh from a local greengrocer.

\:D/

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 06 Jan 2012, 11:55

Noticed that Dick Smith is now going to add Australian grown & made to his list. :biggrin:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 06 Jan 2012, 22:11

That is good news, Teddy, just hope that a lot of people start buying his products.

=D> =D> =D>

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 05 Mar 2012, 19:17

GLASS has been found in a children's snack food, leading to a national recall of the product.

Healtheries Kidscare Rice Wheels Multipacks - with a best-before date of 04/01/13 or earlier - are being recalled after glass was detected in three separate packages.

Vitaco Health Australia said it did not know how the glass got into its product.

"We're still undertaking an investigation," Vitaco Health Australia's general manager Ryan d'Almeida told AAP.

No injuries have been reported.

The company said the product would be taken off the shelves immediately.

"We initiated the recall this afternoon," Mr d'Almeida said today.

"Consumers should return the product to the supermarket for a full refund and obviously not consume it."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Vitaco Health Australia is also recalling Healtheries The Wiggles Ricey Bites with the same best-before date because they are made on the same production line.

"We take food safety seriously, and the wellbeing of our consumers is our top priority," Mr d'Almeida said.

"We apologise to all our customers for this inconvenience."

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 06 Mar 2012, 10:31

Not intending to be flippant re such a serious problem,but couldn't help that a verse of a poem I read many years ago,about the Borgias,"The Borgias are giving an orgy,isn't it sickening,they've run out of thickening,the gravy will have to have ground glass for thickening!"

Yes DW,I read that article in the paper too,which must have shivers down the spine of mothers of young chilren,who usually served such food to their children. think-smiley

Veejay

Post by Veejay » 08 Feb 2014, 17:47

Coles has just issued a recall notice on their brand of Thick Beef burgers (which we like very much or did!) There is an undeclared allergen (Gluten) found in only one certain batch (use by date 17 February 2014 )which could be dangerous to someone with a gluten intolerance or ceoliac disease, we don't have this intolerance but will return three packs that we have, just in case.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 04 Feb 2016, 13:43

Thanks GD, I have added this site to "My Favourites!

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 04 Feb 2016, 23:29

Coles & Woolies have recalled mixed salad leaves ( salmonella)

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer ... mlqwd.html
WHEN YOU TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER.Image

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 05 Feb 2016, 10:07

More products linked to the Coles and Woolworths salmonella outbreak

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/consu ... z3zF9vuNc2

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 05 Feb 2016, 13:53

:thinking:
so..... it appears that to avoid food poisoning, don't buy your greens from Coles or Woolies !

.....and definitely DO NOT have a holiday on a cruise ship ! :twocents-mytwocents:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".