Food recalls

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Re: Food recalls

Post by hawkeye » 08 Feb 2011, 11:36

Now I read that oatmeal stays with you longer than some foods do. Eat oatmeal and you'll stay full longer.

Right, Duke, oatmeal is a breakfast meal. Often I have breakfast for dinner. In the morning I had the meal I mentioned. At a quarter till three I had a banana. At seven-thirty I had a bowl of oatmeal with butter, half and half, a little sugar with homemade biscuits, buttered up good, with a cup of coffee.

I vary my meals as people do. Sometime at night I eat bacon and eggs, toast, coffee or ham or sausage. Sometime I eat a sandwich at night, sometime we have goulash or one of the hated TV dinners (Ugh). I like egg sandwiches, hard cooked, with pepper and a little hot sauce, or on occasion, a grilled cheese. Once in a while a pork chop. But make no mistake, I'm a carnivore, and come warm weather I can stalk a steak like a blood hound. But then, I eat just like everybody else.

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 08 Feb 2011, 11:47

No Maggs, you need more breakfast than that. I don't know what weetbix is. It sounds like grandpa's whiskers or what do they call it, shredded wheat. I have never been able to handle that reduced milk. I don't like it. I tried it one time for a week. I finally decided either my wife, who was buying the stuff, or the 1% milk or what ever it was, had to go. I drink whole milk. I use it on whatever you use milk for, except cereal. Sometime, I buy heavy cream and use it, but only once in a while.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 08 Feb 2011, 12:57

My mouth is watering from reading those things on your menu, Hawkeye. :biggrin:
Yes, Weetbix, Vitabrits, and other such are bricks of flaked wheat that easily disintergrate, eaten with milk but often we pour a bit of hot water on first.

I wouldn't worry about a bit of cream. It's far better for you than butter or margarine - get rid of them and eat more cream. It npt only improves the taste of everything, but satisfies the appetite well too. Oatmeal (good, as you say) with sugar and cream is a treat and keeps you going a long time. :romance-cloudnine:
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 08 Feb 2011, 18:24

Dawn wrote:But the plant doesn't take it up as raw sewerage, it takes up the minerals and vitamins it uses. The rest is surely washed off? Would it be permitted into this country if it was seen to be dangerous for human consumption?
True, Dawn, but frankly Australia has found e-coli in these vegies from some Asian countries.
True, Dreamweaver, but don't forget that not everyone boils their vegies. Most blanche or steam it and that isn't enough to kill all bacteria.
In fact I love raw asparagus and snowpeas but I make sure they are from Australia or NZ.

:handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright:

Hawks, thats a pretty 'reasonable' breakfast for a growing lad!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 08 Feb 2011, 22:14

Growing lad Goddy, growing lad, strewth, i would
rather keep him for a week than a fortnight.
8-[ 8-[ :heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

singlemalt

Post by singlemalt » 09 Feb 2011, 12:35

I just wanted to say that I'm glad that Food Recalls, 'cause I'm buggered if I can these days... :-

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 09 Feb 2011, 12:42

singlemalt wrote:I just wanted to say that I'm glad that Food Recalls, 'cause I'm buggered if I can these days... :-
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 09 Feb 2011, 14:17

I'll take your advice, Hawks, I will have 3 Weetbix in future. :lol:

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 09 Feb 2011, 19:06

Malty, malty lad wherefore hast thou been. 8-[ :- :-
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 09 Feb 2011, 20:44

grandduke wrote:Malty, malty lad wherefore hast thou been. 8-[ :- :-
You've gotta wean yourself off that stuff, GD, before it's too late. :wink
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

singlemalt

Post by singlemalt » 09 Feb 2011, 20:57

I'm not sure... something happened, I stopped getting reminder emails, then suddenly it was next year.

Good to be back. :handgestures-thumbsupright:

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 10 Feb 2011, 18:21

singlemalt,am sure we all empathise with you :lol:
hawkeye,what an interesting diet.i'm always interested in what people eat,as i really enjoy food.brekky is u t oats,with a banana,pre wasi,instead,a hunk of paw paw.a couple of cups of tea earlier,made with leaves :biggrin:
lunch,beans,sweet bucks,both from our garden,with a couple of other oz grown fresh or frozen veg,meat or now if fish,tinned alaskan salmon.fresh fruit after.
afternoon t,2 cups of same.
p m meal,preferably avocardo on toast, then yoghurt with fresh fruit,plus walnuts or almonds.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 10 Feb 2011, 20:20

Sounds very healthy, Teddy, I'm starting to worry about you.
You'll be left all on your own holding this forum open! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 11 Feb 2011, 06:54

Strewth GF that teddy eats like a relative, i'd sooner
keep him for a week rather than a fortnight. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
George Bernard Shaw

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 11 Feb 2011, 16:57

godfather wrote:Sounds very healthy, Teddy, I'm starting to worry about you.
You'll be left all on your own holding this forum open! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
i'm very healthy when i'm not sick or when i don't have self inflicted injuries eg., thinking i'm hercules,when the neighbour's pup had a need.pup since given away ,neighbour on the other side complaining about him.

grandduke, tinned pink alaskan salmon very economical also easy to cook with to make a delicious meal, except recently, when i had one of singlemalt's episodes and used a large tin of red salmon instead of pink. :eek