WATCH OUT!

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

WATCH OUT!

Post by Perrorist » 13 May 2017, 05:48

If you have Windows XP or do not keep your Windows system up-to-date, you are vulnerable. This is a massive attack and spreading rapidly. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39901382

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Re: WATCH OUT!

Post by terra » 14 May 2017, 09:48

My computer is well protected, I have good anti virus, malware and other protection.
I'm particularly vigilant when it comes to emails, more so lately because I'm receiving at least ten emails daily from bogus and well known Australian retailers offering free gift cards. Despite blacklisting and bouncing them, they continue to arrive daily. They all originate from "Borsigstr 9.10115 Berlin Germany"

This is probably a stupid question but if I did indeed cop a ransomware bug, would it be resolved by restoring my computer to an earlier restore point ?
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 14 May 2017, 10:29

This may help those who have earlier versions of windows, XP: vista: 7; 8; etc against the ransomware
that is rampart in the UK :angry-devil:
It has not attacked windows 10, as much as the earlier versions!

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msr ... t-attacks/
WHEN YOU TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER.Image

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 14 May 2017, 10:49

Bitdefender says it's software stops the 'wannacry' ransomware.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 May 2017, 11:05

I was attacked by ransomware, but responded to nothing, though it froze my computer, not even letting me shut down. I turned it off at the switch, went back in safe mode and ran Malwarebytes etc. Found nothing. AVG said all clear, too. Had no trouble since.
I dream, therefore I am.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 14 May 2017, 12:04

Buck_naked wrote:
14 May 2017, 10:49
Bitdefender says it's software stops the 'wannacry' ransomware.
There are a couple of versions of wanna cry.
The earlier version had a fix for it but the newer version..... I don't know if it's been blocked yet.
:thinking:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 14 May 2017, 22:49

This is about the time when Buck's computer becomes vulnerable when he doesn't download 'updates'.
The patches for this incident "WannaCry II" were made available in mid March 2017.
If some people did not install them they then became more vulnerable unless they had a great/paid Anti Virus on their computers.

This massive attack was directed at Government agencies foremost, because governments don't change their basic operating systems every time Microsoft releases another version. I know for a fact the Qld Health are still using Win7 SP1, which means that it will be sometime yet before they may upgrade to Win10.

Overall, Australia was very lucky so far because we are a little bit off the beaten track. However, we could be targeted at a later date.
Nothing is safe in cyberspace.

Terra is asking:
"This is probably a stupid question but if I did indeed cop a ransomware bug, would it be resolved by restoring my computer to an earlier restore point ?"

Not a stupid question at all because if you get caught with this particular ransomware, you will NOT be able to even see any of your data on your screen, let alone access it unless you have paid the ransom!

The only two ways you'll ever see your data again is:

a) Pay the ransom but even then it isn't 100% certain because they might just take your money and run, or
b) If you have your data backed up on an external drive.

This is one reason that external drives were invented, use them!

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 15 May 2017, 20:59

Here is another great bit of reading about computer safety.
This time it comes from a hacking group itself:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... k-10424231

Should be a "MUST READ"

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 15 May 2017, 21:08

terra wrote:
14 May 2017, 09:48

This is probably a stupid question but if I did indeed cop a ransomware bug, would it be resolved by restoring my computer to an earlier restore point ?
Had a friend hit by ransomware, had to buy a new computer. could not repair anything.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 15 May 2017, 21:31

You are correct Buck, you just can't reach the data.
Even if you remove the harddrive and replace it with a new one, you have no access to all the files and Operating system on the "locked" harddrive.

Start from square one again unless you did make an external backup disk!

:eek :eek :eek