Hangouts?!

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Teddy
Diamond Member

Hangouts?!

Post by Teddy » 31 Oct 2017, 13:02

Today, Lower left side of email page, there appeared a Head with Teddy Printed, also beside the Head,a + in a circle
Beneath this printed ,No Recent Chats, below this printed, Start New One !
Below the above ,Try our Android & 105
The word Hangouts. which is really puzzling as it, appears to be a kind of a club, to which I belong, even though I have not joined, nor do I wish to belong?!
At the base are three symbols ,one a phone, which when I tried to delete, there appeared top left corner Uk Flag & top Right corner the UK symbol for a Pound.
Unfortunately though I have tried, none of the above will delete.
I have not received a UK email
Would someone please advise me how to remove the above .

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Hangouts?!

Post by Perrorist » 31 Oct 2017, 13:17

Hangouts is an app on your phone. It's a chat room. It can't be removed, and it's not easily disabled. If you take the phone to the shop where you bought it, you could ask them to disable it for you.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Re: Hangouts?!,

Post by Teddy » 31 Oct 2017, 13:36

I don't have any phone at present Perrorist other than our Home phone.
Puzzling also perrorist is all those symbols on the lowerline anti virus symbol,Soundetc.,,( 12 symbols in all!) frozen?!

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 31 Oct 2017, 16:34

So this is appearing in your Outlook email? Or do you have another email supplier, like Gmail?

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 31 Oct 2017, 17:23

I just have & only use Gmail Perrorist.
Everything was fine this morning, I turn on my antivirus first thing, before anything else, emails & everything else ok,now 13 symbols along that bottom line frozen. I wouldn't feel free ,once computer turned off, to use without antivirus working.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 31 Oct 2017, 18:16

Gmail is pretty good at keeping spammers at bay. I checked my Gmail account and saw that the Hangout message was at the bottom of the screen on the left, with a Sign In button. Ignore it. You'll be fine.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 31 Oct 2017, 20:00

On my Gmail page Perrorist,there is no sign for Chat (Hangout)& the 13 symbols (which includes the little anti virus shield) are still frozen, which is my concern! Tha you for your input Perrorist,it is much appreciated. :icon_biggrin:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 31 Oct 2017, 21:15

Without seeing an image of your page it's difficult for me to say if this is a problem. However, if they're at the bottom of the page, you can just ignore them. I have three icons at the bottom of my page for Hangouts.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 31 Oct 2017, 21:54

"Hangouts" it self is a new Google tool only about 14 days old and very practical, as well as harmless.
It combines three previously separate tools and gives an opportunity to CHAT, MESSAGE and TALK (via VIDEO) to all or anyone of the contacts in your addressbook.
There is a lot of the concept to read at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Hangouts

and if you wish to use it on your computer then click on the following link: https://hangouts.google.com/
where your own details will be available.

Having said the above, I want you to remember it applies to "HANGOUT" the application.
Being a new tool, it probably has a few loopholes and that's were it becomes a time bomb.

Most new applications undergo a strict testing time in the raw before they are released, and I would be pretty certain that Google would have done that.
But with almost the impossible now possible, it is wise to ensure that your ANTI VIRUS is familiar with HANGOUTS, ie, it must be upto date all the time.

Teddy, I don't know which Anti virus program you are using but I find it rather unusual that you switch yours "ON" at startup.
Most AVs do that automatically and also update their program at start-up.

I am not sure why you have some components as frozen. I would suggest a computer Shut-down and a start-up after no less than 30 seconds.
If that does not unfreeze the components do it once more. If that doesn't help you may wish to go to SYSTEM RESTORE, which you'll find via
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.

If you find it difficult, please come back here and we'll try another option.

:happy-sunshine: :happy-sunshine: :happy-sunshine:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 01 Nov 2017, 15:55

Thank you GF, by the time you posted almost 9pm I had been trying to remove the "Thing" since 9.43 am yesterday when "Thing also "appeared & the same time, froze everything on my task bar. I could have referred to anti virus in any manner of speech, last night! Yes I turn on my anti virus first thing in the morning, then all through the day turns itself on, without any assistance from me.
Finally, today I am pleased to say, the "Thing" has been removed(to my great relief!) & diagnosed as a part of Google Services along with Gmail account.

Thank goodness for your account re it's recent appearance GF,as I wondered,why,how & when .Thankfully now able to have a moveable symbol task bar!

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 01 Nov 2017, 22:42

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Hope it keeps working!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.