Have you been hacked?

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Have you been hacked?

Post by Perrorist » 10 Nov 2017, 20:31

Find out if you've ever been hacked by entering your email address: http://www.haveibeenpwned.com

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Re: Have you been hacked?

Post by Buck_naked » 10 Nov 2017, 21:42

Looks like a nice way to harvest a new batch of gullible fools to me. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 10 Nov 2017, 23:02

Never heard of the guy and a bit skeptical of his reasons to build such a complex site.
Certainly has lots of info available but have no reasons to believe that I have been hacked on my PC.

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Nov 2017, 05:55

It's a trusted and respected site that has operated for a number of years. The hacks are not to your PC but to the sites you belong to, where you've supplied your email address and password. I've verified this, because it said I was part of a haul of Adobe accounts a while back, plus Malwarebytes (yes, they were infiltrated), and a software developer's site I sometimes use.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 11 Nov 2017, 12:22

Apparently I have used passwords etc on 2 sites that have been hacked. Not sure how to proceed, but looking at the list of hacked sites I'm guessing my 2 are LinkedIn and Malwarebytes, though I was using only the free version. Having different passwords for different sites is safest, and I do have a few different, and want to know which one is at risk. I guess I need to change it on every site where it is stored.

I also realise now it's unsafe to recycle old passwords, no matter how old, or how convenient they are for one's memorising.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Nov 2017, 15:34

I was advised by the hacked websites to change my password when the intrusions were detected. I have a different password for every site I visit. I use LastPass to store all my passwords, as well as keeping a copy of each one in a file on my PC when it's created or changed.