Into the Lifeboats!

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Into the Lifeboats!

Post by Perrorist » 10 Dec 2017, 16:16

The company that took over Uber Global (themselves no great shakes in the service and support department) is TPP Wholesale*. They migrated our site a couple of weeks back, lost a week's worth of data in the process, and I can no longer get to the files and database because they've changed my password.

Being super cautious, I took a copy of everything before the migration took place. If I cannot regain access I shall reinstall that backup (from 24/11) to my new hosting provider (where I've been getting excellent support).

The downside to this is that ALL posts and private mail since 24/11 will be lost. I'll give it a couple more days before deciding to make the move. If you have anything you want to save (like private mails), please do so now.

Thanks.

*Take a look here to see how bad they are. (Quick read: They're terrible.)

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Into the Lifeboats!

Post by Perrorist » 10 Dec 2017, 18:31

This isn't looking good. TPP seems to think I've switched SP hosting already. Crazy.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 10 Dec 2017, 19:06

Is it worth creating an emergency facebook group or page as a go to place for information if everything crashes.
If you have to start a brand new site from scratch we will know where to find it from the facebook page.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 10 Dec 2017, 19:26

This from your link, Perry.
They migrated the sites to their own servers for me without a hitch
Although it starts in April, there is a December comment. I wouldn't know if it's helpful or not!
D_edilberto asked on Apr 01, 2017
Answer this

Glenn
I wish I could offer something, unfortunately they all seem as bad as each other.
Glenn replied on Apr 03, 2017

relieved
I was one of the victims of the Ilisys migration to TPP. Worst experience of my 20 years in the business.
At the end of January I moved all of my clients' sites to VentraIP and domain management to Synergy. So far - absolutely brilliant. They migrated the sites to their own servers for me without a hitch. Any minor issues I've had have been fixed while I was on the phone. Their tool to transfer domain names was a bit cumbersome to use though. A huge amount of stress, frustration and lost income fixed. Ditch TPP while you still have your sanity.
relieved replied on Apr 03, 2017

cardi777
ventra IP - i can vouch for them for sure, and so can everyone else I have recommended them to.
solid state SSD's, good support, good pricing, not over farmed - and they are not paying me to say this
cardi777 replied on Dec 04, 2017
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 10 Dec 2017, 21:16

DW, Ventra IP is the new hosting company I'm using. They have an excellent reputation.

Buck, I can send an email to everyone to let them know what's going on, which is what I would have to do anyway if I create a Facebook page. I'm just checking now to make sure my group email is up to date. Rest assured we won't need to start again. We'll be resuming from 24/11.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Dec 2017, 10:49

Buck, your email bounced. When the site has been moved, you'll need to update your email address.