MyHealth

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

MyHealth

Post by Perrorist » 12 Jul 2018, 06:35

From 16 July, the government is uploading everyone's health records to this website. You will then have until 15 October to opt out should you choose to do so. The information collected includes all your details, right or wrong, including address, date of birth, etc.

As a 53-year IT veteran, I will be opting out, as I do not trust the security of these operations. All systems are vulnerable and I've seen too many compromised.

Here's the opt-out link: https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-y ... os/opt-out

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Re: MyHealth

Post by terra » 15 Jul 2018, 10:29

I can understand your views on security regarding our personal health records being bandied around Perry....
but it could save valuable life-saving time one day if you were taken to the hospital emergency department in a serious condition.
Yeah, I know, it's a trade-off having our private stuff circulating in cyber-land versus surviving a medical episode.
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Jul 2018, 11:17

When that website was introduced I thought it was a great thing. Then as I became more aware, I didn't trust it. Twice I've been hacked, once through LinkedIn and once through Facebook. Now I think there has to be a middle ground - best for some people to be in it, not for others, depending on circumstances. I will opt out because I don't travel, I live in a provincial city where the major hospital has my records, my pharmacist is in a chain that shares records, my doctor shares any info that is in my interests, and so on. Even if these are hackable, I guess that's a risk we can't avoid. All our details are somewhere scattered in computer-land, and I think we just have to make it less easy for fraudsters to collect them. I only give my correct birth date when it's officially required, anywhere. We have to be aware that we're vulnerable, and these days the world can find out as much, and more, about us as a past little village would know of its locals.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Jul 2018, 11:45

Your birth date is one of the keys to identity fraud. The less exposure you give to your personal details, the less likely your identity will be hijacked. Losing your identity is a very serious issue. One woman lost her bank accounts and her driving licence. It took two years for her to get them back. In the meantime those details could have been used to defraud or money launder or other activities. I've heard of one case where someone was arrested because of it.

I take it very seriously.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Jul 2018, 07:25

Interesting article on why you should opt out: https://theconversation.com/my-health-r ... -out-99302

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Jul 2018, 17:53

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 19 Jul 2018, 09:29

I have just opted out. Watching The Drum the other night convinced me I was right.