Dual citizen booted

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Re: Dual citizen booted

Post by Buck_naked » 11 Sep 2017, 12:09

Sam dastyari has no chinese roots but he was easily purchased by the chinese for a paperbag full of cash.
and does (say) revoking your New Zealand citizenship making it any easier to invade/nuke that country if required in defence of australia?

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 11 Sep 2017, 12:26

I have no connection to NZ but I would still have some qualms about joining any invasion of our neighbour.

Perhaps it is best left to the voters to examine the character of the politicians they plan to vote for, especially if they are up for re-election. By then we should have them pretty well sussed.
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Sep 2017, 12:48

The only way the Constitution can be changed is by referendum. Referenda don't usually succeed.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 12 Sep 2017, 09:42

They do if they have bipartisan support, but only if the voters aren't suspicious that the pollies are changing things just to suit themselves. Remember the referendum to recognise Aborigines? It passed with a huge majority but the other question that they slipped in with it, hoping for an easy passage, was about extending the parliamentary term from 3 years to 4. The voters knocked that one on the head quick smart. It might have passed if they wanted to have a fixed term of 4 years but they still wanted to be able to call elections when it suited the government best.

After this recent fiasco, I don't think it would be too hard to convince Australians that something needs to be done about Sect 44 of the Constitution but whether the voters go for it will depend on the solution that is put before them. After all, if Labor has been able to select candidates who aren't caught in this mesh, perhaps the solution doesn't lie with constitutional change at all. Perhaps it simply requires some better vetting of candidates and assistance for those in doubt to remove that doubt.
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 12 Sep 2017, 13:36

We don't seem to ask a real lot of our elected officials. Surely,it is not too much trouble,for the doubtful ones,to comply with the constitution of the country.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 14 Sep 2017, 14:28

Ah yes Warrigal, what can we ever expect being
ruled by devious minded lawyers. :icon-mrgreen: :icon-mrgreen:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw