JACQUI AGAIN

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Tedwalker
Bronze Member

JACQUI AGAIN

Post by Tedwalker » 28 Sep 2014, 11:07

We haven't heard from Jacqui Lambie for 24 hours.
Is she planning a takeover of the Australian Government?

godfather
Diamond Member

Re: JACQUI AGAIN

Post by godfather » 28 Sep 2014, 21:06

Psssst, don't tell ASIO maybe listening!

:roflmao:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 29 Sep 2014, 06:48

Remember Pauline Hansen and Abbott's involvement in her going to gaol,
tread carefully Jacqui when dealing with that nest of Vipers.
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 29 Sep 2014, 20:55

Jacqui became vocal again today.
She is preparing to introduce a private members bill to ban the burqa in Australia.

What does anybody think about that idea?

:thinking:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 30 Sep 2014, 10:35

While she's at it, how a bout a bill to protect unicorns?
Both bills equally necessary IMO.
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 30 Sep 2014, 19:11

Personally, I don't like the burqa at all. It is the tunic/veil that covers the whole body and only allows the wearer to see the world via a knitted window.
It really is a garment to reduce women to zero, zilch, NUTTING!
I believe that those so-called men who force their women to wear such a monstrosity are jealous to the ninth degree. They are not men, they are cowards!

:angry:

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 30 Sep 2014, 21:49

As a woman, I say let the women come out of hiding when they are ready.
The only place to ban them from is the classrooms.
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

Tedwalker
Bronze Member

Post by Tedwalker » 01 Oct 2014, 09:12

godfather wrote:Jacqui became vocal again today.
She is preparing to introduce a private members bill to ban the burqa in Australia.

What does anybody think about that idea?

:thinking:
I see no objection to wearing the burqa, except for the head piece (or Yashmak).
This part must be banned for security reasons, in the same way that motorbike helmets are not allowed in banks etc.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 02 Oct 2014, 14:12

I agree with Godfather this time!
The Burka DOES reduce women to nothing. How can you have a conversation with someone when you can't see their face?????
This stops the poor women from any interaction with other Women. Of course in the minds of these insecure Men, they may learn to answer back, and make decisions for themselves. The Burka stops all that nonsense.

As a Woman, I find the Burka totally offensive, and an abuse of human rights. :flaming_mad

The French government has banned it, good for them!

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 02 Oct 2014, 18:55

Remember when catholic nuns were covered almost all over, had heavy rosaries on their belts, a cross on their chest and wore headpieces were designed to never let one hair on their head to be seen?

After Vatican II the habits became shorter, the veils smaller and eventually most nuns are recognisable today only by the brooch that signifies their order. Most were glad to see the back of such hot, heavy garments but some, usually the older ones who had worn them for almost all of their lives were very insecure about it and continued as they had done for decades. Old nuns even wore their veils when in their hospital beds because it had become so integral to their identity.

It is the same with some muslim women coming from cultures where the niqab or the burka are the conventional garb for women when outside the home. They are already feeling insecure in an alien culture and to leave the house without their portable screen is equivalent to me being required to walk down George Street in my swimmers. I wouldn't do it. And I wouldn't think highly of any law that said I couldn't walk down George Stree unless I did.

I agree with Tanya Plibersek when she says that she would prefer that Tony Abbott didn't appear in his speedos but it is a free country. If people feel confronted seeing a woman wearing a burqa then the problem lies with them, not with the woman who chooses to cover up. I don't care if a woman is veiled. I know that she can see me and I will still smile at her. If she wants to talk to me she will and I will respond, but I suspect that the veil is there to make it possible to avoid conversations with strangers. If she wants to be left alone, then so be it.

As for making them sit in a special glassed off area at Parliament House, I think this is ridiculous. Are they afraid that burqa wearing women will rain bombs down on our pollies? Where is the gap in the security screening at the entry points that mean that they must be isolated in the high gallery with all of the school kids ? If seeing her face is so important then have female staff and a private room available. Even a good screen would do. Problem solved.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 02 Oct 2014, 19:22

I am not convinced that everybody knows what a burqa actually is.
The burqa is the garment that covers ALL of the face, and is only used by extremely religious Muslims like the Taliban in Afghanistan and probably the ISIS mongrels.

See different Muslim headdress here at this site: http://twentytwowords.com/not-all-heads ... for-women/

I have travelled to the Middle East during my working life many, many times and I really can't recall having ever seen the burqa at all.
Hijab, Niqab and Chador are very common but to cover all of the face is not a major practice.

There is nowhere in the Quran where it is prescribed by Muhammad, nor is any face cover for that matter, but it has been an accepted as part of the Muslim dress for many of years.

The confronting part of the burqa is that one cannot tell whether the wearer is female or male. Hence it can be used to totally conceal the identity of those wearing the garment.

I would love to see it banned in Australia, simply because it is NOT a garment specifically prescribed by Islam.

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 02 Oct 2014, 20:13

And paradoxically, I, as a feminist, don't want any of you males dictating what women can and cannot wear.
If one wants to walk around with a hessian bag over her head I say good on her - as long as I don't have to wear burlap too.

If I had a dollar for every time I was told I shouldn't wear a slack suit when I was a young woman, or that I shouldn't cut my hair short, or buy patent leather shoes ..... :flaming_mad

I'll say it again - leave the women alone. They are harming no-one. :hitting_wall

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 02 Oct 2014, 20:40

Few years ago, I pulled into a servo to fill the tank on my motorcycle.
After putting the fuel in, I proceeded into the service station shop to pay for my petrol, still wearing my full face helmet. I was in a hurry and still had my gloves on which made unfastening the helmet strap a chore.
On entering the servo shop, I was approached by a man who identified himself as the manager.... he sternly told me to remove my helmet because I posed a security threat in not being identifiable. Of course, I obliged.
I've since become aware that it is an offence to enter a bank wearing a helmet, in fact any facial covering that disguises my identity.
So warrigal, it's quite OK in your opinion to wear a hessian bag over your head if you want to ?
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 02 Oct 2014, 20:45

I have a number here in the shed o great Dingo you can have them free
of charge on one condition i get to photograph the occasion. :wqoohoo :heeheehee :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 02 Oct 2014, 20:48

Warrigal, I defend your suggestion if there wasn't such an idiotic, religious, murderous mob currently running amok in Syria and Iraq.
As far as I am concerned, in peace time, they can wear a hessian bag to cover up. But when threats are being made to attack civil people in faraway lands for revenge killings, then all rules or dress sense must go out of the window for security reasons. It has nothing at all to do with interferences to women's rights or dictating what they can wear or not wear. These days you cannot, regardless whether you are a female or male, wear a motorcycle helmet or sunglasses when you enter a bank or other high risk building. That would also come under the category where women's rights are not considered more important than their safety!

Personally, I love the "B", and hence it would be more sensible if they would all wear a bikini instead of a burqa!

:cheers: