JACQUI AGAIN

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Re: JACQUI AGAIN

Post by terra » 02 Oct 2014, 20:54

grandduke wrote:I have a number here in the shed o great Dingo you can have them free
of charge on one condition i get to photograph the occasion. :wqoohoo :heeheehee :heeheehee
Thanks Duke de la Creek.... but I sold my last motorcycle because too many motorists were threatening my life !
Now strictly a bicycle man on country tracks through the nearby forest.
:text-thankyou:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 02 Oct 2014, 22:31

godfather wrote:Warrigal, I defend your suggestion if there wasn't such an idiotic, religious, murderous mob currently running amok in Syria and Iraq.
As far as I am concerned, in peace time, they can wear a hessian bag to cover up. But when threads are being made to attack civil people in faraway lands for revenge killings, then all rules or dress sense must go out of the window for security reasons. It has nothing at all to do with interferences to women's rights or dictating what they can wear or not wear. These days you cannot, regardless whether you are a female or male, wear a motorcycle helmet or sunglasses when you enter a bank or other high risk building. That would also come under the category where women's rights are not considered more important than their safety!

Personally, I love the "B", and hence it would be more sensible if they would all wear a bikini instead of a burqa!
:cheers:
We are at war? Who with ?
Have we been invaded?
Who's been interned for the duration?

So let's see. A person, presumably a woman but maybe not, enters a high risk area such as an airport departure lounge, where he/she is subjected to screening for explosives and weapons and is then allowed to proceed. What purpose is then served by insisting that he/she must be contained in a separate area for reasons of public safety?

FYI, these days armed robbers tend to attack the armoured vans, not the bank vault. They do wear balaclavas though. Very few banks are held up by men wearing bicycle helmets or women in burkas. Let's lay that old chestnut aside. It's rubbish.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 02 Oct 2014, 22:35

Feast your eyes on this lot...... rubbish ?... don't think so !
https://www.google.com/search?q=bank+ro ... 64&bih=818

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 02 Oct 2014, 22:36

The burka ban or isolation ruling has been quashed by the PM.
It will now be on his head when an unruly mob of burka wearing women begin throwing water bombs at the Speaker from the public gallery.

Anyone know where I can buy a second hand burka? I might like to lob a few bombs myself.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 02 Oct 2014, 22:54

terra wrote:Feast your eyes on this lot...... rubbish ?... don't think so !
https://www.google.com/search?q=bank+ro ... 64&bih=818
Nice try terra but I had a bit of trouble finding an Australian example on that page. I did add the word Australia to that search and came up with this example.
A WOMAN tried to rob a bank during a brazen attempted burglary in Melbourne's southeast last week.

Police are appealing for information after the woman attempted to rob the bank on Springvale Rd, Springvale at 11.15am on July 11, 2012.

Officers have been told the woman waited in line with 20 other customers before approaching a teller. As she approached the counter she passed over a note demanding $50,000 and threatened to shoot everyone in the bank.

The female teller read the note but refused the woman’s request.

The woman told the teller that her children were being held hostage and the teller again refused to hand over any money. The woman reached into her bag, indicating that she was in possession of a gun, however the teller still refused to comply with the woman’s demands.

The woman grabbed the note from the counter and fled from the scene on foot.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said victims being held up were usually advised to comply with demands, however each situation should be assessed with precaution before co-operating with someone making threats.

“Every situation is different and a person needs to make their own assessment, however an individual’s safety is always paramount,” she said.

The woman is described as being aged in her 30s, of Middle Eastern appearance, 165cm tall with brown eyes.
At the time of the incident she was wearing a white scarf over her head, a black long sleeved jacket, black pants, slip on black shoes and carrying a black leather double-strap handbag.

Investigators have released an image of a woman who may assist with their inquiries.
She was wearing "a white scarf over her head" and she looked like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 02 Oct 2014, 23:09

no mention of the word Australia in your post Warrigal... you just claimed "rubbish" that people would rob a bank wearing a helmet.

have you ever said, "oops, I was wrong". :thinking:

I know that you're defending the rights of people to wear any headgear that they wish to.... based on religion or culture or for what ever reason. That's fine with me and I don't have a problem with that but the wearing of motorcycle helmets in banks in this country is not allowed.... and that's my point.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 02 Oct 2014, 23:28

terra wrote:no mention of the word Australia in your post Warrigal... you just claimed "rubbish" that people would rob a bank wearing a helmet.

have you ever said, "oops, I was wrong". :thinking:
Oops I was wrong not to mention Australia but I don't ever think that we should be passing laws to solve problems in other countries. Let's concentrate on the home situation.

I have to admit that I was influenced by an experience when I was almost on a jury about to hear the trial of four very nasty professional bank robbers. Their modus operandi tended to be attacks on armoured vans but I think they may have robbed an actual bank on a couple of occasions.

I'm more worried about the shooters they carried than a balaclava, face mask or burka over the face.

I know that you're defending the rights of people to wear any headgear that they wish to.... based on religion or culture or for what ever reason. That's fine with me and I don't have a problem with that but the wearing of motorcycle helmets in banks in this country is not allowed.... and that's my point.

No, I'm sticking up for women to wear what they like. For too long men have dictated what women should or should not wear. This is 2014 not 1954 and it is no longer acceptable unless these is a very good reason for it. When I am convinced that women covering their faces is a real threat to public safety then I will come on board. Then I will support similar bans on wraparound sunglasses, long fringes, wigs and facial hair as well because these items also make it hard to identify people.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 03 Oct 2014, 09:19

Woe betide the jury that you sit on Warrigal ! [-o<

Summing up ....

RULE 1. Warrigal is always right.

RULE 2. If Warrigal is ever wrong, then refer to rule 1.

Next time I go to the RSL club, I'll leave my hat on and when they ask me to remove it.... I'll just tell them that you said it's OK.

Cheers :wqoohoo

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Oct 2014, 10:03

As an Australian Muslim woman, I have a few issues regarding the idea of "banning the burqa" in parliament house.

Firstly, why are we not using the correct terminology? It's called a niqab not a burqa. A burqa is worn in Afghanistan.

It's incredibly irresponsible to reignite this debate at a time when community tensions are already heightened all over this country. Australian Muslim women, are it seems once again being used as political pawns to further the Abbott Government's political agenda.

The hysteria is not based on any evidence - Tony Abbott himself has admitted that no one in a full face covering has sought entry into Parliament House. It's very disappointing to see he has given credibility to the likes of Senator Jacqui Lambie and Senator Cory Bernardi instead of showing leadership on this issue; but perhaps he sees that there are some extra votes to be gained in that.
Advertisement

I personally find the sight of Tony Abbott in budgie smugglers "confronting" but I would defend his right to wear them. Given he admits there is no record of the burqa ever being worn into the building, he cautioned against making a "mountain over a molehill". Yet the government is doing precisely that, conflating the issue by choosing to echo John Howard's sentiments at a time where the social cohesion of this country is already at serious risk of being irreparably damaged.

In a free and open democracy, people are entitled to their opinions, however unsavoury they may be, but our leaders who occupy positions of power and responsibility must rise above divisive rhetoric. Instead Abbott seems content to peddle xenophobic views rather than challenge them. He has failed in this regard on numerous occasions - the infamous "Team Australia" rhetoric is one such recent example. In a free and open society, women should be entitled to dress as they please.

There's a distinct irony in the suggestion that women who are allegedly forced to wear a face covering should be forced not to wear it. If the issue is in fact about identification, then women could be asked to remove the face covering momentarily for identification purposes. But equating the face covering to extremism and violence in the discourse of national security is disingenuous and suggests that it is not about identification.

A ban is potentially unconstitutional and possibly in breach of section 116 of the constitution which states "The Commonwealth shall not make any law …for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion".

A ban of the face covering in Parliament will no doubt lead to it being banned in public - what kind of a secular democracy dictates to women what they should and shouldn't wear? Given the current climate, Australian Muslim women are already bearing the brunt of Islamophobia. There has been an escalation of both the frequency of incidents of racism against Muslims and the level of violence with a 26-year-old Australian Muslim woman being bashed and pushed from a train, in a vicious and cowardly attack in Melbourne last week.

Everyone in Australian society has an important part to play in ensuring that we do not cause irreparable damage to social cohesion by engaging in divisive rhetoric and inciting hysteria. That includes parliamentarians.

Mariam Veiszadeh is a lawyer, Welcome to Australia ambassador and founder of Islamophobia Register Australia.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/its-a-niq ... z3F2G6IL2E
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Oct 2014, 10:22

It has been called a security risk and a "flag of fundamentalism", there have been calls to ban it and it has been associated with terrorism.

Raihan Ismail is a lecturer in Middle East Politics and Islamic Studies at the Australian National University. Dr Ismail spoke with 666 ABC Canberra to answer some common questions about the burka.

Why do some Muslim women wear burkas? The Koran calls for both men and women to 'cover and be modest'.
As with many other religious scriptures, the reference to dress is open to interpretation and has been shaped by centuries of cultures in different nations.
"The Koran does not explicitly say you have to cover yourself in this manner," Dr Ismail said."Some scholars argue that it is a religious obligation, particularly the more conservative factions within the Muslim world. There are many variations and interpretations."

Dr Ismail is a Muslim and has been wearing her hijab since she was a child. "I'm so comfortable wearing it that I can't imagine myself without it. I wear it for cultural reasons, but there are many women who wear it for religious reasons."

Is it a burka, niqab, hijab, chador or dupatta?
The use of the term burka in Australia is often confused with what is actually the niqab.
The burka covers the entire body including the whole face, with a mesh window for the woman to see out of. The niqab covers the whole body including the face with the exception of the woman's eyes. "The niqab is more accurate; people rarely wear the burka in Australia," Dr Ismail said.

"In Australia people mostly wear the hijab in lots of different styles." The hijab covers the hair and chest and is common among Muslim women in South East Asia.

The dupatta is a long scarf draped across the head and shoulders, and is often accompanied by matching garments.

In Australia Dr Ismail said that the reasons women wear veils of all kinds vary widely and take in influences from culture, fashion as well as religion. "Some women wear it because they strongly believe it is their religious obligation," she said.

Dr Ismail does concede that some women may be pressured into covering themselves. "There is a possibility that some husbands would tell their wives 'please wear the niqab, I don't want any other men to see you' which is possessive," she said. "When it comes to that, the problem is not the niqab, it is being married to someone who is possessive and oppressive."

Should the burka be banned? Dr Ismail does not agree that banning the burka in Australia would solve the problem of oppression. "By banning the burka or niqab you are preventing some women in freely practising what they believe in," she said. "You would probably isolate these women because they would not be able to go out."

Muslim women do not wear a veil in front of their immediate family, which usually means a niqab or hijab is not worn at home.

As a Muslim woman who wears the hijab, Dr Ismail has had some negative experiences in Canberra. "Once in a while, people call me a terrorist," she said. "My first experience in Australia [involved] two women behind me who said, 'They are everywhere, it's like a disease'. "They pushed me a little bit and started laughing; I was so heartbroken."

Though confronting and upsetting, Dr Ismail said this kind of experience is in the minority. "In Canberra people are so lovely; sometimes people just smile at me, and that is just so nice," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-23/w ... ab/5761510
I dream, therefore I am.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 03 Oct 2014, 18:55

terra wrote:Woe betide the jury that you sit on Warrigal ! [-o<

Summing up ....

RULE 1. Warrigal is always right.

RULE 2. If Warrigal is ever wrong, then refer to rule 1.

Next time I go to the RSL club, I'll leave my hat on and when they ask me to remove it.... I'll just tell them that you said it's OK.

Cheers :wqoohoo
Terra

A) My jury days are over now and I never did get selected. Justice must be served without me.

B) Rules 1. and 2. Spot on and well done. You're a quick learner. It's taken hubby over 50 years to learn these rules and still he often forgets them.

Make sure the hat is turned up on one side and decorated with emu feathers and she'll be apples. Make sure you walk a bit bandy legged to be sure.

Cheers back at ya

:roflmao:

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 03 Oct 2014, 22:01

Good onya Warrigal ! :happy-sunshine:

Sometimes my typing finger (singular) runs ahead of my brain and says things that maybe offends some folk.
It's good to air our thoughts, feelings & preferences on various topics, but just like Abbott and Shorten who hurl insults at each other in Parliament all day, they pat each other on the back and share a drink at the end of the day.
Bugger !.... geez Warrigal, you weren't here so I drank your drink for you !

So...... remember, when verbal sparring with Grannie Warrigal, rule 1 wins.

:kiss_my_bum:

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 03 Oct 2014, 22:13

I'm never offended, Terra.
It's all a game. Life, that is.

I enjoy a bit of verbal sparring.
I miss Joycy. 8-[

PS I don't drink any more.
When I did I was a bit too argumentative. :eek

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 03 Oct 2014, 22:35

Yes... Joycy, the great storyteller....
I also miss her input !

:text-thankyou:

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 04 Oct 2014, 02:32

First Dog on the Moon hints at the reason behind all this fuss about burqas

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -dog-burqa