This from a getup email.

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

grandduke
Diamond Member

This from a getup email.

Post by grandduke » 24 Oct 2016, 22:25

Snippet.
Have you heard the amazing news?!1,2,3,4,5,6,7 ... you get the picture – this is big.

Doctors4Refugees and Fitzroy Legal Service have announced a major win in their High Court case against the Border Force Act.

In a huge backdown, the Turnbull Government has dropped the gag rule that stopped doctors and health professionals speaking out against the child abuse, sexual abuse and medical negligence they witness on Nauru and Manus Island. :wqoohoo :wqoohoo Go getup.
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: This from a getup email.

Post by kfchugo » 25 Oct 2016, 07:21

It is heartening to see some common sense prevail in our legal system. There is NEVER any excuse for covering up abuse. Whoever instituted that gag order in the first place should now be out of a job - THAT is what burns me up, people in government do these things but suffer no repercussions.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 25 Oct 2016, 08:27

kfchugo wrote:It is heartening to see some common sense prevail in our legal system. There is NEVER any excuse for covering up abuse. Whoever instituted that gag order in the first place should now be out of a job - THAT is what burns me up, people in government do these things but suffer no repercussions.
The Government will just pass the buck: arguing: Private contractors & theres nothing we can do! :flaming_mad
WHEN YOU TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER.Image

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Jan 2017, 20:19

All that was a couple of months ago. Another death, at Christmas time.
Reports have emerged alleging that Ahmed’s health problems were ignored by detention centre staff. Detainees on Manus Island have told ABC News and Fairfax Media that Ahmed was repeatedly turned away by medical staff at the detention centre’s clinic run by the International Health and Medical Service (IHMS), despite his repeated complaints over a six-month period of chest pains, fevers, stomach pains and high blood pressure.

Fairfax Media released a photograph of a complaint letter written by Ahmed to IHMS nine days before he died. In the letter Ahmed asked why he has had more than 20 visits to the clinic but was still provided with no diagnosis. He wrote that he had “chest, heart, high pressure and also nose block [sic].” He also described a “problem at the back of my head.”

He was supported by 60 asylum seekers, who signed a letter addressed to IHMS demanding better treatment. A week after writing the complaint letter, Ahmed returned to the clinic one last time. He told his friends once he returned to the compound that the doctor had told him there was nothing wrong with him. Three days later he died.

Abdul Aziz Adam, 24, a friend of Ahmed’s also imprisoned on the island, told reporters that Ahmed said to him prior to his death, “I don’t get to see the doctor, I always see the nurse and then the nurse tells me ‘you don’t have anything,’ but I feel I have a problem.”
So has anything changed?
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Jan 2018, 17:12

Immigrants come here for economic and lifestyle reasons, and Australia allows them to come here usually because of their skills or their money (international student tuition fees are enormous!).

In contrast, refugees migrating to Australia for humanitarian reasons, and allowed in out of compassion for their dire circumstance, comprise a much smaller number.

There is a difference between an asylum seeker and a refugee—asylum seekers are people seeking international protection but whose claims for refugee status have not yet been determined.
Although those who come to Australia by boat seeking Australia’s protection are classified by Australian law to be ‘unlawful non-citizens’, they have a right to seek asylum under international law and not be penalised for their mode of entry.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Jan 2018, 18:31

It's depressing to see successive immigration ministers refer to refugees as "illegals". They're not, and we're obligated by international treaty to take them. Howard has a lot to answer for.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 15 Jan 2018, 19:35

Australia takes in its fair share of migrants, refugees, asylum seekers etc and as with any sovereign nation, has a right to protect its borders and decide who may enter. I dont believe that ANYONE foresaw the mass migrations we are seeing around the world when we signed the UN convention on refugees. The document should be rescinded and a new one drawn up reflecting conditions in the world we now live in.
People in poor nations all want to move to first world countries for a better life. Whilst that is understandable, we run the risk of reducing our own quality of life by just throwing the doors open to all and sundry. Everyone carps on about the rights of these "poor and oppressed" people, yet we seldom hear of the rights of everyday Australians who built this country. Look what is happening in Melbourne - hordes of African youth marauding around the city causing damage and disruption at will - we are IMPORTING the rest of the worlds problems...... is THAT the legacy we want to leave to our progeny?

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 16 Jan 2018, 08:51

The Turnbull Government is crooked and corrupted !

Vote them out at next elections !
:character-oldtimer:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 16 Jan 2018, 10:45

While I dont disagree with you Terra, show me a political party that is NOT crooked and corrupt. For those that believe that they know of one, I can only say that you are kidding yourself. :twocents-mytwocents:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 Jan 2018, 11:50

Please tell us why you think the Greens are corrupt.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 16 Jan 2018, 13:25

Opps Hugo, careful lad not to generalize. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 16 Jan 2018, 13:28

Why single out the Greens, Perry......I think all political parties are corrupt. The very nature of politics is telling people what they want to hear..... lies,deals, backflips, broken promises etc., etc......anything to get elected. Do you propose that the "noble" profession of politics is anything different? Call me a cynic if you will, but I believe that my opinion is supported by centuries of political history.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 16 Jan 2018, 14:01

Yes Hugo.... Pollies, Real Estate salesmen and car salesmen all seem to be crooked, but some are less crooked than others.
....and yes, Labor Pollies aren't anything to be proud of but at the moment, they're in opposition and if they can see a weak point in Turnbulls Government, they'll stick the knife in and promise the world to us. It's a good idea to change government every few years just so the bastards don't take us for granted.
The Greens are also a force to be reckoned with in future years. :twocents-mytwocents:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 Jan 2018, 19:15

I think it's relatively easy to state your ideals and stick to them when you aren't actually in government. That state I think would continue for sometime after winning government, but I can't see a guarantee. A wise man once told me politicians might go into government with the highest ideals, but it's not long before they're blackened by the same brush as the scoundrels. I know there are exceptions, like the Whitlam government (imho).

The Australian Democrats were in main fine people too. What happened?

All I can do is to give my vote to the ones who espouse my beliefs, and seem most trustworthy, and that's the Greens, no matter how they develop later. If they go awry and there is a party I deem more worth my vote, I will then support that one.
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 16 Jan 2018, 22:28

I would think most of us are in the same boat......mainly cynical of politicians and political parties with no clear option to cast a vote that will really count and precipitate real change. I hate voting these days as I feel the exercise is futile and democracy now merely a myth.