Russian influence on US politics

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Russian influence on US politics

Post by grandduke » 01 Aug 2017, 13:55

Tsk tsk tsk, you're at it again Buck Mr misinformation tsktsk.
Like the Brexit referendum, USA was pretty evenly divided about the presidency: 59,353,100 popular votes for Trump, 59,588,685 popular votes for Clinton. However the electoral votes (like Australia's electorates) were in favour of Trump (279 for Trump, 228 for Clinton). Like Brexit, there is a change of leader and an expectation of changes to policies (especially international policies). But, like Brexit, markets are settling down and I think USA will settle down before the UK does. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 01 Aug 2017, 14:02

In a lot of those red states the vote would have been close to 50/50. Most states give all the college votes to the popular vote winner. Any democrat voter,surely,would feel cheated,and disenfranchised,with the system. Is it any wonder that not much more than 50% of them actually bother to vote.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 01 Aug 2017, 14:08

grandduke wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 13:55
Tsk tsk tsk, you're at it again Buck Mr misinformation tsktsk.
Like the Brexit referendum, USA was pretty evenly divided about the presidency: 59,353,100 popular votes for Trump, 59,588,685 popular votes for Clinton. However the electoral votes (like Australia's electorates) were in favour of Trump (279 for Trump, 228 for Clinton). Like Brexit, there is a change of leader and an expectation of changes to policies (especially international policies). But, like Brexit, markets are settling down and I think USA will settle down before the UK does. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
Where did your figures come from GD. The only area Buck was attempting to be misleading,was not posting the popular vote figures. Here are the final voting figures from a reliable source :

http://www.politico.com/mapdata-2016/20 ... president/
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 01 Aug 2017, 15:55

People have had a lifetime of observing the Clintons.
whatever russia did was fiddling at the edges.
Was there some killer blow that russia delivered?
No , she was wupped, wupped good n proper.
and Trump spent about half the money clinton did
$1191 Million vs $646 Million . :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 01 Aug 2017, 16:42

My memory may be foggy, but wasn't the FBI decision to reopen the case on the email scandal
cited as the main reason for a dip in the clinton polling just before the election?

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 01 Aug 2017, 16:47

Dr Google gave me those figures Slaps yours show a different figure,
however, Mrs. Clinton thought she had it in the bag hence the fracture
lines on her face when it became apparent she had lost.
It's, without doubt, Trump won because the people put him there but
will he understand what the people want and deal with inequality, if not
they will boot him come the second term.

Now understand the story Slapsy, i am the Hawk sitting on bucks shoulder. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 01 Aug 2017, 17:48

I wouldn't have voted for either of them.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 01 Aug 2017, 22:39

Slapsy wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 14:02
In a lot of those red states the vote would have been close to 50/50. Most states give all the college votes to the popular vote winner. Any democrat voter,surely,would feel cheated,and disenfranchised,with the system. Is it any wonder that not much more than 50% of them actually bother to vote.
Damn good summary.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 02 Aug 2017, 19:59

Perrorist wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 17:48
I wouldn't have voted for either of them.
Give the voters a 2nd chance and neither would they!
Millions of them are very much regretting having bothered to attend the polls.

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 03 Aug 2017, 13:07

You folks shed some good light onto the thinking world. Sometime I think we Americans cannot see the trees for the forest. We are bombarded on a daily basis with what Trump said or did and what the various news media thought of what he said or did,and what others thought, that sometime it is difficult to know what is happening. You kind of get to where you don't care. I am watching the North Korean thing. They don't yet have a payload they can fit on one go their ICBMs yet but will Trump do something rash before they have this ability and have enough to matter? Some have said Trump is getting g senile, forgetful. I don't know. But if he is does this pose a greater danger? I am not much concerned about Russia's meddling. I think it was negligible. They have been spying on us and we on them War 2 was over. I do weary about all the hacking and what that could eventually do. I mean could hackers control the power grids in the U.S? Could hackers interfere with our defense mechanisms? Could they interfere greatly with our financial institutions. It seems to be more or less fact that both Russia and China and the Ukraine have been involved according to intelligence. I think we are forced to prop up a regime, North Korea, because we have no sane options but to go along to get along and to keep South Korea from being destroyed. Sometime I go for two, three days or longer and attempt to hear nothing about Trump if I can. Or any news. It is in my mind that we could very well have Trump running roughshod over what he can until 2020 and maybe 2024. He still has much support. He is doing much Congress likes and will not have to take full blame for, if any. Unless the Special Prosecutor can find enough on him to warrant his undoing. Much a SP finds may not warrant his removal with a GOP majority in the Congress. Trump is not not normal. No one can depend on anything he says. If no one comes out and praises him for what he has done or said, he praises him self and lies about who called him or who he called and what good things they said about him. It is said all his staff meetings begin with the entire group, one at a time say good things about the President. Can you imagine a staff that has to spend more time thinking up ways to say good things about a boss than they spend trying to solve real problems. I can't either. Cheers, good people.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 03 Aug 2017, 13:20

Well Hawks, if all he needs is praises then he's no different than the little
fat North Korean ego maniac, every time i see Trump on the news what comes
to mind is this Mans a Goose.
Keep well, brother.
George Bernard Shaw

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 03 Aug 2017, 14:28

Thanks for that Hawkeye. Very well put. :good_one

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 31 Oct 2017, 10:02

If you were Russia, and I bet you're glad you're not, you might well want an improvement in world politics and act accordingly, under cover.

If they could see the rot that had set in America which led to so much wrong doing (which we were brainwashed to believe was for the best!) and backed the only way to make a fresh start for America and the world, I reckon they would do it.

Did they realise he would last this long, before the good people in America would come together to introduce the sanity that America and the world needs? Perhaps not. Too late for regrets now. Be careful what you wish for - you might just get it!