Perrorist
Administrator

Why we should be concerned

Post by Perrorist » 06 Aug 2017, 18:05

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Why we should be concerned

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Aug 2017, 18:50

Can't say I'm a big fan of democracy, just that there doesn't seem to be a better system at present. Do we want the people to lead their government, or the government to supply leadership?

Do we trust popular opinion? Do we trust politicians? I couldn't say yes to either of those.

I do think things have to improve with a better informed public. We should be sharing new knowledge as much as possible, imho. :twocents-mytwocents:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 08 Aug 2017, 13:16

I wouldn't want to change our democratic system but I would dearly like to re-write part of our Constitution and include a Bill of Rights!
Democracy is the only system that has a possible future and is superior to any other political ideology.
The missing links in our own democratic system seem to be the people to run the system.
We don't have suitable leaders and have to rely on 'rejected lawyers and car sales people' who firstly have no interest in the well being of the general public, and 2ndly have little or no understanding of priorities and/or implementing essential services that can work as expected.

We live in the best country in the World, but unfortunately we do not have the leaders to take full advantage of the situation.

We need good people managers instead of lousy politicians!

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 08 Aug 2017, 13:37

Bravo Godfather brother and comrade in arms, i go down
on one knee and doffs me hat to the thee. :bear_hug :heeheehee :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Sep 2017, 09:45

No corporation would expect to run with unqualified staff, put in place by public demand. Isn't it time we expected some qualifications of our candidates? What sort of things should they be qualified in?

We can look back to Ben Chifley, an engine driver pm. He had skills that weren't formal qualifications. Firstly he was not self seeking, twice refused pre-selection, knew his limits, could defer and consult. Is there an academic course that teaches such skills? Leadership training courses give some insight and awareness.

I have heard that politicians don't need knowledge, that the public service is a huge knowledge bank for them to draw on - but do they bother to? They're more into justifying the platform they got elected on. Should they study the workings of the public service?
http://theconversation.com/how-efficien ... very-19908

What do you think the minimum expectation should be of a candidate?

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 04 Sep 2017, 09:57

Minimum expectation: stop spending money you don't have. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
#debtanddeficit

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 04 Sep 2017, 17:45

The minimum I expect is that they act in the public interest and not that of their party or its sponsors. Donations must be controlled if we're to wrest control of our political system from corporate interests.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Sep 2017, 18:28

But do we want ignorance in our candidates such as Pauline displays? On the other hand, she is the voice of many others just as ignorant. They have a right to be heard, to be answered. Hopefully to be enlightened, but surely not to run the country before they gain sufficient understanding?