Failingthe English test for immigration

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Failingthe English test for immigration

Post by Warrigal » 09 Aug 2017, 15:19

Just because a machine can't handle your accent doesn't mean that human beings can't.

Read this article to see how silly it is to insist on a certain level of fluency in English for migrants to demonstrate before they can even enter the country.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/0 ... glish-test
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Failingthe English test for immigration

Post by Perrorist » 09 Aug 2017, 18:40

I saw that and couldn't believe the company defended its software.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 09 Aug 2017, 21:25

My wife is from Belfast & still after 47 years hear she still has people who can't understand her.
It is so frustrating as she speaks to someone at the shops & they continually ask her to repeat
what she said. It only seems to be with shop attendants that she has the problem! :hitting_wall :hitting_wall

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 10 Aug 2017, 09:02

Learning english is difficult, especially for older people and even more so if they are from an Asian background. It is ludicrous to set the english requirement so high that many Australian born numbskulls would also fail it. Do we want to welcome immigrants or just laugh at them as they try to jump through the hoops we set for them?

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 10 Aug 2017, 09:23

I say bullshit to our pandering to people from other countries who don't want to make an effort.
:kiss_my_bum:
Just remember what it's like to phone Telstra for help and be confronted with the normal hard-to-understand operator with an accent that makes conversation nigh on impossible.
Speaking and comprehending the Australian language is a must !
If ya don't want to comply, go home !
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 10 Aug 2017, 09:59

My sympathies are with the natural English speakers whose regional accent makes them so difficult for us to understand. Fair enough I think that they be deemed not suitable for some work, like the nurse who couldn't pass despite speaking 'English' all her life. A patient needs to understand what the nurse says! We find it more acceptable for a nurse to not understand a non-English speaking patient,or someone who uses sign language, and seek out an interpreter.

I think it could be easier to learn a new language than to change your accent. But I don't see that they should be debarred from citizenship. I think of Australians with cerebral palsy and like disabilities, whose speaking ability is impaired. There's nowhere to deport them to, if you wished to do that!