Standing ovation for Senator Brandis

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Standing ovation for Senator Brandis

Post by Warrigal » 17 Aug 2017, 14:41

I missed the build up but apparently Pauline Hanson entered the Senate chamber today wearing a burqua. She then proceeded to ask questions of Senator Brandis, having come out from under the garment. I didn't hear the first question but his answer was brilliantly delivered. When he finished the opposition members rose to their feet in spontaneous applause.

Then the President put her in her place.

I've never before seen anything like this.

And just now Senator Di Natale has used his last complementary question to compliment Brandis on his answer to Hanson.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: Standing ovation for Senator Brandis

Post by Warrigal » 17 Aug 2017, 14:59

Here is the silly cow sitting in her seat.
Before she could enter the chamber her identity was checked so she was fooling no-one.
Pauline Hanson in burqua web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 17 Aug 2017, 15:29

It is getting pathetic,isn't it. I watched part of question time in HoR today. Rather than being pathetic,it is an absolute farce. This pathetic mob of fools are turning Australia into the laughing stock of the world.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 17 Aug 2017, 15:45

Hardly. All eyes are on Washington, or Trump Tower, or Mar a Lago or NJ Golf Course.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 17 Aug 2017, 15:49

You can here Senator Brandis here : https://www.facebook.com/abcthedrum/vid ... =2&theater

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 17 Aug 2017, 15:53

On 6 December 2016, Chancellor Angela Merkel said the wearing of full-faced veils should be prohibited in Germany "wherever it is legally possible".

Burqa bans in place in
France
Belgium
Netherlands
Barcelona.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 17 Aug 2017, 16:05

Last time I looked at a world map, all of those places are in another continent, far, far away.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 17 Aug 2017, 17:33

Ataturk the founder of Turkey also banned the burqa for all public servants including politicians.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Aug 2017, 18:49

The sad thing is that Hanson will feel no shame, no regrets, and learn nothing. She's locked into her fears and insecurities. Burqas don't bother me, because I don't have interactions with people who wear them. My wife had problems when she was in London's East End because she couldn't read lips, but it didn't bother her as there was always someone who could help her. It's rare to find anyone wearing burqas on the Central Coast -- we're mostly white bread here, as the Yanks like to say.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 17 Aug 2017, 19:28

I hate the burqua but gentle discussion and tolerance is the answer. Hansen was insulting. I think it is going to back fire on her.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 17 Aug 2017, 19:46

7:30 report: 55% of the population support a burqa ban.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 17 Aug 2017, 20:05

I read part of Brandis' reply to Hanson and will agree that he out did himself with respect!

Hanson, on the other side, is what she has always been, an old boring nag!

:hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 17 Aug 2017, 20:23

Just saw a banner on the bottom of the screen:
Hanson and the burqa will be on Sunrise tomorrow morning.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 17 Aug 2017, 20:31

I find it interesting that the burqa is quite offensive and demeaning to a great many Australians, but that seems to be okay with our government - Muslims are allowed to wear the garment, even though it effectively camouflages not just their identity but also their gender. We are told that this is a free society and people can wear what they like. What of Pauline Hansens rights then to wear a similar garment? I am no expert on the minutae of Islam, but it is my understanding that there is no mention in the Koran of women being required to wear a burqa - it is voluntary on their part to demonstrate their modesty. Wearing it is NOT a religious requirement.
Hansen has done some dopey things in her day and this is no doubt yet another, but I wont condemn her for showing up yet again the double standards of some Muslims. :character-oldtimer:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Aug 2017, 20:57

There aren't any double standards. The Koran doesn't require women to wear burqas. Some cultures have a tradition of it, but it's voluntary in most. From memory, I think the Taliban requires it, but they're extremists.

Hanson was offensive because she made a spectacle of her obsession with something that not only isn't her business but because she chooses to speak on behalf of women who haven't asked her to do so. If nuns want to look like penguins or Jews wish to wear tiny skullcaps or celebrities choose to wear oversized reflective sunglasses or Scotsmen prefer to parade in kilts, it's none of my business, nor yours. Celebrate diversity and stop trying to homogenise society in your own image.