Standing ovation for Senator Brandis

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Standing ovation for Senator Brandis

Post by Perrorist » 21 Aug 2017, 12:33

Hanson lied when she claimed to have entered the Senate without having her identity checked. Her point was to draw attention to the wearing of the burqa in public. She's offended by it. Isn't it up to those women who feel forced into wearing it to feel offended. Is she really concerned about women being oppressed? No. She's done nothing about it. What really concerns her is her perceived encroachment of Islam on our way of life. She makes absurd claims about being birth rates and sharia, and tries to whip up anti-Muslim fear among those of a similar disposition to her. She's a menace.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 21 Aug 2017, 12:42

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 21 Aug 2017, 13:14

Airport security ha, no good in the middle of the building
where most of the people are, screening should be before
one gets into the building. :icon-mrgreen: :icon-mrgreen:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 21 Aug 2017, 13:36

Aren't we getting carried away with this burqua issue. I live in the Wollongong area,as multi-cultural as any area in the country,and can't remember the last woman,in a burqua,I have seen. Many women wear the hijab,but some of the younger ones are dressing as their friends do. In ten years time you will all have something else to complain about.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 21 Aug 2017, 13:44

kfchugo wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 12:12
Muslim women are often under intense pressure from family members (male) to wear the burqa. Personally, I dont believe that Hansons stunt was solely directed at security in Parliament - it was a statement against the burqa in general and one I would think welcomed by many moderates in the Muslim community.
There is a world of difference between the wearing of the burqa which dehumanises the wearer and things like high heels, head scarves etc which are mere fashion statements.
We differ on a number of points here.

First the exaggerated high heels - they are highly a sexualised form of footwear, often worn because men like their women to look sexy. Young western women experience intense pressure too. My husband once tried to coerce me into not wearing the knee high boots I had just bought. He failed. He liked high heels though, but my feet did not.

We assume that women in Australia are forced to wear a burqa in Australia. I rather think that they have become accustomed to doing so that they feel uncomfortable going out in public without one. Time alone will correct this feeling.

By the way, if I were in Afghanistan, I would wear a burqa outdoors too for my own safety. Has it occurred to you that women from some countries have learnt to be very wary of strange men? If they feel safer hidden by their clothing I feel sorry for them and I doubt that this fear will go away any time soon. If the burqa is banned they will not leave their houses at all.
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 21 Aug 2017, 15:06

We certainly do differ on some points Warrigal - women in this country are not "coerced" into wearing high heels - they do so of their own volition to look sexy and attract a man. As for the burqa, I do believe that Muslim women are brainwashed into wearing it by the men of their family. Supposedly, it is to show their "modesty" but if that were truly the case, the MEN would also be wearing it - it is sexist and de-humanising. Although, to be honest, I doubt it will be an issue in ten to fifteen years as the younger generation of Muslims grow up in our society and come to see the burqa for what it truly is.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 21 Aug 2017, 16:10

kfchugo wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 15:06
We certainly do differ on some points Warrigal - women in this country are not "coerced" into wearing high heels - they do so of their own volition to look sexy and attract a man. As for the burqa, I do believe that Muslim women are brainwashed into wearing it by the men of their family. Supposedly, it is to show their "modesty" but if that were truly the case, the MEN would also be wearing it - it is sexist and de-humanising. Although, to be honest, I doubt it will be an issue in ten to fifteen years as the younger generation of Muslims grow up in our society and come to see the burqa for what it truly is.
As for the burqa, I do believe that Muslim women are brainwashed into wearing it by the men of their family.
You believe this, but how do you know? I do agree with you about this apparel disappearing amongst the next generation. I prefer to let time deal with it rather than ban it. IMO that is a sure way of making it an issue and we will see young women adopting it as a sign of their defiance.

I have seen a few young women at the shopping centres wearing a face veil. I make eye contact and pay absolutely no attention to their niqab. I can see that they are smiling by their eyes and our exchanges are no different to those I have in passing with other shoppers. If I remark on their lovely children they actually beam.

If we are friendly towards them, they will come out of hiding eventually. However, I do not recommend the menfolk engaging in friendly banter. Silent courtesy such as standing back at a doorway or helping carry the stroller up stairs at a railway station that doesn't have a lift will be very much appreciated, with or without a facial covering.
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 21 Aug 2017, 16:39

High heels may be a fashion statement, but on young growing feet they are detrimental to bone formation. However, conditioning begins early for some girls and if they are worn before the bones are fully formed the adult will be better able to wear them as an adult. Women who wear them all the time find that wearing flats is actually painful.

If I was going to campaign about other women's clothing, which I am not, I wouldn't be too concerned about the burqa unless I saw it on little girls. Then I would certainly speak out loudly.
high heels for kids.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 21 Aug 2017, 22:31

Thinking of Pauline Hanson, Malcolm Roberts, Tony Abbott, Bronwyn Bishop etc, it should be compulsory to wear the burqa to hide their ugly personalities!

:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 22 Aug 2017, 06:58

:good_one

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 22 Aug 2017, 07:48

Unfortunately, Godfather one cannot hide their ugly personalities, only their ugly faces.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 22 Aug 2017, 12:23

Isn't the argument that we need to see their ugly faces? For security reasons.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 Sep 2017, 20:55

The Hajj, annual pilgramage to Mecca, begins this month.
And since it’s basically impossible to talk about women in Islam these days without someone bringing up the issue of how much clothing they’re required (or not required) to wear, here’s a fun fact: Although women must cover their hair with a scarf, the face veil, known as a niqab, and the burqa, the garment that covers from head to toe with only a mesh-like panel through which to see, are not allowed during hajj.

Yes, you read that right: The two pieces of clothing that are the most controversial and are seen by many anti-Islam critics as symbols of the pervasive and pernicious cultural intrusion of Islam and its inherent oppression of women, are not allowed during one of Islam’s most sacred rituals, even though men and women mix freely during it. (Some women still wear them, though, despite the prohibition, and it doesn’t seem to be something that’s actually enforced. Some have also come up with rather creative workarounds, such as wearing large, darkly tinted sunglasses and those paper face masks doctors wear.)

So why the prohibition? The reason is basically that while Mohammed’s various statements regarding women’s dress are hotly debated among Muslim scholars (Mohammed lived a long time, after all, and he said a lot of things over the course of his life), his statement on women not covering their faces (or hands) during hajj is crystal clear: A woman in the state of ritual purity for hajj “should not cover her face or wear gloves.” Not a whole lot of room for debate there (though, of course, people still do debate it, because humans).

Men also wear special clothing during hajj. Male pilgrims wear two pieces of clean, unstitched cloth (usually plain white) — one wrapped around their waist and one wrapped around their torso — and plain sandals. The purpose of making all men dress in this same simple garb is to strip away all indications of wealth and status so that all pilgrims are seen as equal, as they are in the eyes of God.
https://www.vox.com/2016/9/12/12814258/ ... -explained

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 20 Sep 2017, 08:31

I think the burqua will disappear next generation.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 20 Sep 2017, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 20 Sep 2017, 08:32

godfather wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 22:31
Thinking of Pauline Hanson, Malcolm Roberts, Tony Abbott, Bronwyn Bishop etc, it should be compulsory to wear the burqa to hide their ugly personalities!

:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
Just caught this gf. Brilliant.