North Korea is a worry.

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Trishia

North Korea is a worry.

Post by Trishia » 04 Sep 2017, 18:47

It seems that the North Korean lunatic has moved to a higher level of threatening behaviour.
In fact we could be headed for the unthinkable. A NUCLEAR WAR!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-04/n ... mb/8870670

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Re: North Korea is a worry.

Post by Buck_naked » 04 Sep 2017, 19:20

The MAD scenario will kick in like it has with every other country with nukes
Mutually Assured Destruction.
The other problem with North Korea i see could be is they become a terrorists supermarket and onsell nukes to other countries/terrorists.
The odd thing about terrorists is they always seem to have plenty of money for guns and ammo.
even tho they come from the poorest countries on the planet.
$500 million for a nuke would be tempting.
There have been allegations that NK is getting the technology from the Ukraine. :eek :eek :eek

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 05 Sep 2017, 08:55

Whatever the truth is Buck, we will be the last to know, until it's too late!
Thanks for answering.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 05 Sep 2017, 11:00

Trump is the problem, rather than Kim. Nothing much will happen other than attempts at getting the parties around the table to discuss the issues. The fact is, NK has a nuclear capability and won't give it up. It needs it to keep itself secure.

In the longer term, the US will lose its influence in SE Asia and China will dominate the region. Well done, Donald. Just what you didn't want.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 05 Sep 2017, 17:13

If Buddha is right, we have a duty to think positively.
Buddha: “With our thoughts we make the world” ..
I hope and trust you're right, Perry.
:good_luck

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 05 Sep 2017, 17:38

Dunno about Buddha, but self-interest is a strong motivator when it comes to our actions.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 06 Sep 2017, 09:50

Reading with interest but not much to contribute. I would ask your opinions though. With the presumed advances in technology and intelligence would it be conceivably possible to take Kim out?

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 06 Sep 2017, 10:19

I would imagine taking the NK leadership out would be very difficult.
just gathering intelligence on the ground would be very tricky.
But drones have wiped out a lot of terrorists so its not impossible to get information
they would be relying on satellites and flyovers.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Sep 2017, 10:52

Taking him out would simply transfer leadership to another dictator, who could be worse. Besides, Kim isn't mad -- he just knows how to get what he wants. His dad taught him well.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 06 Sep 2017, 13:20

Taking him out would send a powerful message to any successor and spy satellites have fantastic cameras these days - with facial recognition software, the yanks could pinpoint him anytime he looked up at the sky. Just my opinion, but the time for threats, promises and sabre-rattling are over - a firm and direct message needs to be sent. NO REGIME can be allowed to hold the world to ransome. If Kim succeeds, every little tinpot dictator around the world will be trying the same tactics. :character-oldtimer:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Sep 2017, 14:23

He has no plans to attack anyone. He's demonstrating his ability to defend North Korea. As for taking him out, well that went down well with Saddam and Gaddafi, didn't it? Believe me, any military attack will have repercussions beyond what we expect.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 06 Sep 2017, 19:29

Trump (and his allies) need to weigh up which is the greater risk - war with North Korea or letting Kim get away with his political blackmail and in doing so ..... setting a desperately dangerous precedent.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 06 Sep 2017, 21:33

Theories are everywhere and ideas are being floated as we speak.
Take out Kim Jong-Un is NOT the answer despite many 'experts', incl me, thinking it to be the best way to solve this dilemma.

By chance I read the following article today and so should you.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/world/ ... 79955.html

No, the article has no direct answer but it will clearly indicate that Kim Jong-Un is not a Lone Ranger. There are millions of them and another will soon find himself replacing the current leader. The KIM family has a very strong following which was very cleverly cultivated by the First KIM and the people followed like the mice followed the Pied Piper.

The West has to come up with another alternative to get rid of the "hate for the US", which is the underlying catalyst.
Trump has made matters worse by being such a belligerent "dumkopf" who is taking everything far too personal.
Get him to take his finger off the trigger and you'll most likely find that Kim will do the same. Provocations will never stop a war but clear thinking and talking could do the job!

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 07 Sep 2017, 01:37

The main problem in North Korea seems to be lack of food - some people are starving. Yet some who leave also want to return. Why? https://www.quora.com/Is-there-anything ... orth-Korea

If you scroll right down to the comments you'll find some like these -
Hyunwoo Kim, politics and ethics student, DPhil candidate at Oxford University
Updated Dec 31, 2014
I will enumerate a few things I can instantly come up with which are quite positive.
1. Despite widespread poverty, North Korea is a very civilised nation, with a well-structured educational system and a high level of literacy.
2. North Koreans are very hygienic, which may surprise you if you compare NK with other underdeveloped or even developing countries.
3. They give an absolute priority to social bonds, toleration, and respect for elders, which they regard as civic virtues. ( Of course, these characters may, and are being, traded on by the totalitarian government)
4. North Korean folk culture is quite enjoyable; they love sports very much, music, singing and dancing. And not unlike South Korea, food in the North is quite tasty, a factor which, I think, alone could attract lots of tourists when the country reopens herself.

I hope these can help you have a glimpse of some positive sides of North Korea and get rid of the stereotypical view taken up by world media for a while.

Muhun Kang, Not the biggest fan of the Kims
Answered Sep 17, 2014
I am a Korean, interested in my history since my literacy. I hope that my answer will persuade people to look at this mysterious country with a critical view.

North Korea did not have American occupation. This meant that North Korea was more friendly with China and Southeast Asia - the victims of WWII. South Korea got the shorter end of the stick. It ended up with Japan. This still offends many Koreans to this day.
North Korea was able to kill or expel fascist collaborators. Their properties were given to the other citizens. South Korea attempted to punish them, but Syngman Rhee stopped them. North Korea was like France. It was superb in treating war crimes.
North Korea is controlled by a Great Leader. South Korea was a military junta (dictatorship) until the 90's, interrupted by frequent protests. North Korea was definitely more stable.
Finally... no taxes in NK!
North Korea is a horrible country. There is no debate. However, it did one or two good things.

Shu Lee, I have traveled extensively in Asia
Answered Jun 14, 2016
They don’t have to…

worry about people like Trump getting elected. They already have the most perfect leader in power so there is no need to kick him out.
go through election stress and pre-electionor or pre-revolutionary anxiety disorders (PPAD) where people are constantly on the edge about who will be the next president or PM or king or dictator.
go to church or join any religious organisations to feel accepted and make friends like some of us are compelled by peer pressure to do so.
worry about what they should to do with their lives and applying for a job and get anxiety about not being able to find one (Frustration of Unemployment Anxiety Disorder “FUAD”). Communism provides everyone with a job and a fair wage and therefore no excuse to complain about what your next door neighbour has and what you don’t have.
worry about their wives leaving them for a richer man. Everyone earns the same wage. There is a higher level of egalitarianism.
worry about accidental obesity because Western fast food outlets do not exist.
worry about trade with China (the biggest market in the world), it’s just next door. And they are economically very accommodating.
worry about street violence every now and then.
worry about healthcare and having to buy insurance and save up for retirement.
keep up with the Jones’ on just about everything we have to. No smartphone and social media addiction. PHEW!!!! A breathe of fresh air at last!!!!!!!
Long Live NK!

George Wu
George Wu, studied at The University of Hong Kong
Answered Jul 24, 2016
A few years back I have some serious thoughts on how societies and governments should be. Living in a capitalist world, I thought the best way to have a better insight to the problem is to visit the opposite extreme - North Korea, to see how things work and real communism there, free from propaganda/biase from the western media.

I know most of the stuff I saw is propaganda from NK’s prospective, nonetheless there’s quite a number of good things there.

No consumerism and stupid Ads there
Instead of endless advertisement everywhere urging people to buy something they don’t really need, we saw some decent art works decorating the place.

Education is free
Not just elementary education, secondary and higher education is also free there. Furthermore, they even offer free adult education to whoever want to learn something new. No need to worry student debt there.

Housing is free (at least in urban areas)
Urban housing is allocated by the government, for free. My tour guide was amazed when I told him we (from Hong Kong) have to pay nearly lifelong’s earning just to buy a tiny flat. He would much rather stay in NK instead.

North Korea also claims to provide universal free medical care and having no unemployment. I know these claims carry some big doubts in western world, but at least the government is trying to accomplish these goals.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 07 Sep 2017, 07:28

Thank you for a wonderfully informative post presenting points of view I had no idea of.