Dutch prisons

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Dutch prisons

Post by Dreamweaver » 28 Sep 2017, 20:44

In 2013, 19 prisons in the Netherlands closed because the country didn't have enough criminals to fill them.

Now, five more are slated to close their doors by the end of the summer, according to internal documents obtained by The Telegraaf.

While these closures will result in the loss of nearly 2,000 jobs, only 700 of which will transition into other unknown roles within Dutch law enforcement, the trend of closing prisons follows a steady drop in crime since 2004.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 65521.html
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Dutch prisons

Post by Perrorist » 29 Sep 2017, 09:16

We're going in the opposite direction.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 29 Sep 2017, 10:19

With all those prison guards suddenly out of a job.......maybe they will turn to crime? :lol:

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 29 Sep 2017, 11:04

DW,your post is of particular interest to me at present, because I am reading the true story of a very brave Dutchman, Jean Henry Weidner,the compassionate leader of the Dutch-Paris Underground, all the lives saved when the Nazi's invaded Holland, Belgian & France. What makes the Dutch such well behaved nation, that the Gaols are being shut down?!

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 29 Sep 2017, 11:33

They're not privatised.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Sep 2017, 11:59

Because Teddy, they aren't treated like criminals if at all possible. Emphasis is on helping anyone with 'pre-criminal' tendencies to avoid that path, or if that fails, then rehabilitation if possible. Here, we build a 'them and us' society, create antagonism between those already not conforming, and the conformers.

The other important thing is as Perry pointed out, their prisons aren't privately run. Here the governments, I think, guarantee the contractors a certain number of inmates. Who they then have to find from somewhere, or introduce more laws that can be easily broken, like smoking marijuana, although we have known for generations that prohibition doesn't work.
I dream, therefore I am.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 29 Sep 2017, 16:07

I agree with Dreamweaver. Prisons in Holland focus on reforming criminals and their guards are trained to rehabilitate men and women so that when they re-enter society they are supported to avoid reoffending. There is strong emphasis on preserving their family networks too.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 29 Sep 2017, 18:26

I have had the pleasure of living in the Netherlands and it has long had a compassionate logical approach to crime. The Dutch have long been a very tolerant nation and quite permissive. They have very lenient laws on prostitution and drugs. Fewer problems