USA - the right to bear arms ?

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Re: USA - the right to bear arms ?

Post by hawkeye » 11 Oct 2017, 08:23

We're bad. Infrastructure old needing repair or replacing, A viable nation sliding downward toward third world status, We pretend to place value on human life but it's actually way down the list somewhere. Unrestricted gun ownership is most important. Don't know our police forces get merit badges for killing non-whites but it appears to be a possibility or cash bonuses. We can not fix our problems because we see no recognizable problems. Too long we have told ourselves we are the leader of the free world so how dare you question us. Where am I going with this? I don't know. Doesn't look like there's anywhere go since the right to bear arms trumps everything. If this had existed when I had a young family I'd be a Canadian citizen, living in British Columbia or Manitoba or Montreal, talking trash about that country south of us and their mentally deranged President. That's not the case however.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 11 Oct 2017, 09:52

It seems from history that sometimes a country has to hit rock bottom before it can bounce back, and 'the bigger they are the harder they fall'.
Don't despair Hawkeye. Something pretty good could come from all this, though we may not be around to see it.
The making of omelettes can't happen without the mess of breaking eggs!

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 11 Oct 2017, 22:10

Americans and guns, you can't separate these two by talking about it!
Someone needs to find the balls to actually do something productive to stop these murderers.

If our 'little Johnny' could do it why can't the President of the USA do it..................... if he wanted too?

How true is this..png
ps: Apologies for the language, I am so angry!

:flaming_mad :flaming_mad :flaming_mad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 12 Oct 2017, 01:54

The president does not have the authority little Johnny had. Because he says something or wants something does not make it happen. Rules must be followed and not enough people will follow those rules (free will). Australians perhaps place more value on human life which does not have much value in the US. Gun ownership is more important, much more. You all seem to get upset when a few people are shot, killed. A few thousand would no difference here. 30 or 40 thousand are killed annually in auto accidents here. Gunshot deaths would have to exceed that to raise an eyebrow here. The response to the last shooting by most people I know is "so what." Not that I agree but see where I'm coming from. I'm not sure you can.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 12 Oct 2017, 06:29

You're right, Hawkeye, as this link shows: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... full-data/

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 12 Oct 2017, 12:20

hawkeye wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 01:54
The president does not have the authority little Johnny had. Because he says something or wants something does not make it happen. Rules must be followed and not enough people will follow those rules (free will). Australians perhaps place more value on human life which does not have much value in the US. Gun ownership is more important, much more. You all seem to get upset when a few people are shot, killed. A few thousand would no difference here. 30 or 40 thousand are killed annually in auto accidents here. Gunshot deaths would have to exceed that to raise an eyebrow here. The response to the last shooting by most people I know is "so what." Not that I agree but see where I'm coming from. I'm not sure you can.
Sadly, I often feel that life is cheap in US. I get this impression from the number of lives lost to gun violence and the lack of affordable health care for all. Guns for all and lowest possible taxes are more highly valued IMO.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 12 Oct 2017, 13:20

barack obama was there for 8 years. did nuffin.
Talk is cheap.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 12 Oct 2017, 13:44

He tried.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 12 Oct 2017, 14:19

After the reaction to this last tragedy,it is obviously a lost cause. I hope you have a good solid vest,Hawkeye. :hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 13 Oct 2017, 08:47

After the massacre of little children at a pre-school some time ago, I realised that there will NEVER be sensible gun control in the USA. Any nation that can turn a blind eye to the murder of its children is beyond salvation.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Oct 2017, 10:41

It's just another facet of a failing power. The US seems to be in a downward spiral at the moment: politically, economically, socially. I can't see it recovering, at least not in its present form.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 13 Oct 2017, 21:22

hawkeye wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 01:54
Hawkeye, yes I can see where you are coming from and I doubt that most Americans would actually be elated by hundreds of gun-death each year.
Car accidents are mostly that "accidents", but you cannot classify mass shootings as accidents. There are differences which clearly define both situations.
It really is a shame that Americans place so little value on human life. It strongly detracts from it's proclaimed stance on 'let's save the World'!
If you can't look after your own folks, how can you look after foreign peoples?

Hawkeye, please fill me in here. Obama and Trump both signed many, many "Executive Orders" which did not have to go through Congress. Why couldn't a President issue one of those "EO's" on gun control?

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 16 Oct 2017, 06:06

Godfather, as you are aware, I am not a scholar, merely an uneducated spectator. Thus said, it is my speculation that while executive orders can cover a number of things, they are not valid or effective regarding anything laid out in our Constitution. There may be other more legal binding answers I am not aware of.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 17 Oct 2017, 15:07

Thanks Hawkeye, I guess I can see now what maybe stopping an EO against guns, i.e. the 2nd Amendment, hey?

I don't want to go there again because it makes no sense to me at all that anyone can compare the writings from 200+ years ago with today's mindsets and armaments.

Keep smiling, it becomes you!

:high_fives: :high_fives: :high_fives:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Nov 2017, 13:47

Dragon Fire - 5 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJQnjC0ly3Y

Customer's car - 3 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPSJTJPFSo8

Mass shootings - 4 minutes
Wife's accidental death 2.40 - 3.15
http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/armed-ma ... s-50860789

:flaming_mad :worried: :flaming_mad