How is this possible!?

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

How is this possible!?

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Oct 2017, 00:52

by Doug Sosnik, a Democratic political strategist, was a senior adviser to President Bill Clinton from 1994 to 2000.
More than half of Americans don’t think Donald Trump is fit to serve as president, yet he has a clear path to winning reelection. If Trump isn’t removed from office and doesn’t lead the country into some form of global catastrophe, he could secure a second term simply by maintaining his current level of support with his political base.

We have entered a new era in American politics. The 2016 election exposed how economic, social and cultural issues have splintered the country and increasingly divided voters by age, race, education and geography. This isn’t going to change.

What have changed are the political fault lines that have driven the debate since the early 1980s. Until now, the ideological divides between the parties were largely differences around social issues, defense spending and trade, as well as tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations. Today, the central issue has become populism as voters have moved away from the two political parties and increasingly self-identified as independents.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... b9cbe58c8d
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: How is this possible!?

Post by Perrorist » 18 Oct 2017, 10:16

The answer is not Clinton but someone who has a distinctly radical message. I would say Saunders; however, he's an old white male and that won't work against Trump. There a couple of women who could be up to the challenge, Elizabeth Warren being one who already has a high profile. Kirsten Gillibrand is another, but she's not widely known outside the north-eastern states. There are others who may begin to make an impression soon. As long as they rally behind the eventual winner for the candidacy, the Dems will have a good chance.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 18 Oct 2017, 11:34

Michelle Obama might well give Trump a run for his money - very classy and well experienced lady.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Oct 2017, 13:18

She certainly would, but she's said she won't run. If she changes her mind, she'll blitz Trump if her popularity is a guide and she'd be a difficult target for Trump to attack.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 18 Oct 2017, 21:20

I am having a few difficulties understanding the following:

".......If Trump isn’t removed from office and doesn’t lead the country into some form of global catastrophe, he could secure a second term simply by maintaining his current level of support with his political base........".

Is the writer saying that 'nothing changes if nothing changes'? If so, why would Americans re-invest in a man who has less than 50% of the support from his country men? It makes no sense, but I guess it has something to do with the voting system they are using.

No, Michelle is too nice and loved to have to suffer a Julia Gillard fate. I like her knowledge and wisdom but don't put her on the chopping block!
Also don't believe that the USA is ready for a woman as yet. Hillary's results in 2016 clearly show that the US is too far behind civilisation to accept a female as President for another 20 years!

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 19 Oct 2017, 06:37

Oprah Winfrey.
would win by a mile. :twocents-mytwocents:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 19 Oct 2017, 08:52

Clinton won the popular vote by a country mile, GF. What the author is alluding to is the Electoral College, which is skewed towards the states that voted for Trump. If those states stick with Trump and the marginal states don't switch to a Democratic candidate, then Trump's back in for another four years.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 20 Oct 2017, 08:09

Buck_naked wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 06:37
Oprah Winfrey.
would win by a mile. :twocents-mytwocents:
Sadly the deplorables would NEVER vote for any woman and certainly not some one like Oprah who they would dismiss as an uppity N. I could be wrong.