NBN

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: NBN

Post by Perrorist » 29 Oct 2017, 14:46

We watch ABC TV, iView, and Netflix. More than sufficient for our needs. I haven't watched commercial TV for years. Those ads offend my intelligence, especially when on high repeat. No wonder they're losing out to the internet.

To answer Buck's question, businesses in particular need the higher speeds, as do medical centres, research outfits, etc. Domestically, households with lots of internet users. I derived immediate benefit when I was able to upload large video files to my customers instead of cutting a DVD and posting or hand delivering it to them.

Besides, having the capability doesn't mean you need to use it to maximum capacity. Pay for what you need now, and later when you need to you can update your plan and get the extra capacity without having your front lawn dug up for fibre.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 29 Oct 2017, 16:54

and be careful what you wish for.
Superfast NBN means more jobs sent to low wage countries like India.
AI, robots, online everything, done from india.
Could be talking to your doctor online from india. :eek :eek :eek

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 29 Oct 2017, 17:41

You don't have to go online to India. Two of the doctors at our local medical centre are Indian.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 29 Oct 2017, 23:03

Biggdad wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 13:01
There's a new Fast network on the block! OPEN CLOUD, WHO ARE BASED IN BUNDABERG
I don't know whether they have phone + network bundles.

https://www.opencloudbroadband.com/plansandpricing/
You beat me to it Biggdad, I had heard of it during the week but didn't get around to it until today.
The show is actually operated by some guys who built their own Broadband network at Bundaberg as they were fed up with all the NBN bullshit and delays.
It is still in its infancy but can deliver at speeds well above 100+Mbps upto 200+Mbps with some slower plans at ADSL prices.
They are going to expand in the future but in the meantime this sounds ideal for anybody still not connected to some decent speeds.

https://www.opencloudbroadband.com/

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 30 Oct 2017, 22:04

GF: It doesn't say whether you can get a Phone +internet bundle & how much phone calls are.! :twocents-mytwocents:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 31 Oct 2017, 23:12

Biggdad, at that stage you'll have to look up the details @ Eziweb : http://www.ezi-web.com/retail/internet/pace.htm

Open Cloud operate via Eziweb Services, and like every other ISP the pricing depends on where you want the service connected and at what quantity and speed. Ezi we prices incl telephony as a VoIP service but you must have a VoIP capable modem. Cost of calls? No idea but you'll probably find them at Ezi Web as well.

Having read a bit more about Open Cloud, I believe that at this stage they are only looking at servicing an area around the Bundaberg region and buying their data etc from Ezi Web.

:twocents-mytwocents: :twocents-mytwocents: :twocents-mytwocents:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.