Barnaby Joyce.

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Slapsy

Re: Barnaby Joyce.

Post by Slapsy » 30 Oct 2017, 13:22

It seems he is allowed to waltz straight back into parliament,without any consideration for the salary,already paid,and the pension accrued. He needed to sign a declaration each time he nominated. It is now obvious that each one of those declarations was false,and there are penalties,including jail,for submitting a false declaration. I doubt that any of these cases were deliberate,but all of them,including the two found to be legal,showed a total disregard for what was required from them.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 30 Oct 2017, 16:16

Slapsy, both Joyce and Turnbull BELIEVED that the High Court would rule in their favour - wrong, but a firm belief at the time. I have no time for politicians generally but do feel a need to be fair - Joyce and the others were elected, put in the time and effort and DID THEIR JOB. It seems churlish to try to use technicalities to claw back wages and expences that they earned. Joyce will have renounced his NZ citizenship and will win his by-eloection virtually unopposed. He will then return to Parliament and his other positions as though nothing had happened (and continue to do the same job). This whole affair has (to my mind) been an exercise in futility.
Labor may try to capitalise on the same technicality and challenge decisions made by Joyce while technically ineligible to hold his position but again, this will finally prove to be a waste of their time and OUR money and leave them looking even more stupid than they do at present.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 30 Oct 2017, 17:04

A disqualified driver is fined if caught driving. If it happens multiple times he/she can even be jailed. A company director can not serve on a board while disqualified. Why should politicians get a free ride,straight back to government,after being disqualified?
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 30 Oct 2017, 19:50

The whole point of going to the High Court was to get a determination on eligibility - you cant compare that to driving while disqualified.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 31 Oct 2017, 23:25

I don't believe that Labor will challenge Barnaby's laws but there are some entities who could if they want to.
Thinking of the retail trading workers who lost lots of penalty time under BJ's rule. I wouldn't be surprised to see the AWU taking some actions, and maybe the Miners Union as well?

I do understand where Kfchugo is coming from but in all fairness BJ and the others obtained their salaries under fraud.
If you make a driving error, you'll have to pay the fine, and a simple "Sorry officer, I didn't know you can't drive in reverse from Melbourne to Sydney"
won't get you off paying the fine.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 01 Nov 2017, 06:07

I doubt you can challenge cabinet decisions, but individual decisions would be a different matter.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 01 Nov 2017, 08:21

I think we are really talking about Cabinet decisions here with Joyce being just one vote on the matter. It would be a pretty flimsy case to try to throw them out......at best, they may trigger another vote on the matters.