Peak globalization means a new path?

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Peak globalization means a new path?

Post by Dreamweaver » 24 Oct 2017, 17:15

Is peak globalization a viable pathway to an economic foundation, that puts people first, while building a more economically and environmentally sustainable future?
This is a long read, but to fully take it in it needs attention to all of it. I think. But my brain gets weary, and perhaps it could be summarised! Someone else can have a go. :lol:

https://singularityhub.com/2017/10/22/p ... e-economy/
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Peak globalization means a new path?

Post by Perrorist » 24 Oct 2017, 18:29

This kind of thing is interesting. I'll take a look.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 25 Oct 2017, 10:17

Dreamweaver wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 17:15
Is peak globalization a viable pathway to an economic foundation, that puts people first, while building a more economically and environmentally sustainable future?
This is a long read, but to fully take it in it needs attention to all of it. I think. But my brain gets weary, and perhaps it could be summarised! Someone else can have a go. :lol:
The idea of a community-based society has been gaining ground recently. I don't think we can completely achieve it, but it's a worthwhile goal. It got its start with the idea of Creative Commons on the internet where people shared their digitised IP assets -- images, software, music, books, articles -- that would normally be subject to copyright. That movement has extended to academic and archival material. The article is focused more on technology, such as 3D printers, solar panels and wind-powered turbines, as well as low-footprint farming (e.g. wall gardens).

The author is postulating that this should encourage community-based economies, where the technologies (energy, large-scale 3D printing) are shared by cluster groups, smaller than suburbs. This will somehow create an ethos where other skills and methods are shared. Maybe, but it requires a basic income scheme to make it work. People still need a reliable source of income. He doesn't mention this.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 25 Oct 2017, 11:37

Thanks for that, Perry. I got only as far as googling for 'peak globalisation', which was a term being used apparently even 10 years ago. Seems to mean the sourcing of goods from across the world, a trade which is now declining as more can be producd locally? No more business going off-shore?
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 25 Oct 2017, 18:43

Less business, as in less transport of goods I suspect.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 25 Oct 2017, 19:20

I reckon. It seems little steps at a time, no great instant solutions, softly softly, and perhaps we will eventuially catchee monkey. :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 25 Oct 2017, 20:39

It will be gradual, unless something dramatic happens, like the GFC but with more severe consequences.