Trump - the bully

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Trump - the bully

Post by kfchugo » 21 Dec 2017, 12:08

There was recently a vote in the U.N.Security council to censure the U.S. for unilaterally declaring Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The ONLY country to vote against the motion was the U.S. who then used their veto to defeat it. There is now a similar motion being put to a vote in the General Assembly of the U.N. and Trump has ordered that the name of countries who vote against the U.S. should be noted and he has threatened to withdraw foreign aid from them. This is nothing short of international blackmail and bullying - forcing U.S. foreign policy onto other nations. I can only hope that the nations of the U.N. vote with their heads and hearts instead of their wallets and show this thug that his corporate strategies dont transfer to international relations. Trump keeps referring to his policies and initiatives as "America first"......personally, I cant see that U.S. policy has ever had any other intention in mind. :yeah_right

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Trump - the bully

Post by Perrorist » 21 Dec 2017, 12:26

Exactly. America has always pursued its own interests. Foreign aid is a diplomatic tool. If Trump withdraws funding, other nations (China, Russia) will step in, thus diminishing US influence and power. He's so naive, he won't even realise that. If he does, it is further proof that the US is pursuing an isolationist path.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 22 Dec 2017, 23:24

The General Assembly voted against Trump's motion by a massive majority, with Australia abstaining.

"The resolution states that Mr Trump's bid has "no legal effect" and is "null and void"!

Mexican stand-off, hey?

:eek :eek :eek
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 23 Dec 2017, 04:43

As usual, Australia has failed to stand up to the U.S. and wimped out by abstaining. I am disappointed, but hardly surprised.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 23 Dec 2017, 23:52

Yes hugo, me to and that is why I mentioned it in my post!

I think Malcolm needs his nappy changed. Any volunteers?

:gassy_today: :gassy_today: :gassy_today:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 26 Dec 2017, 05:25

I suppose that most nations at one time or another have run into trying times. These are indeed trying times in the age of Trump. Our president is needy, requiring much praise, and has an ignorance of governing. Seemingly contemptable of the less fortunate and an admirer of dictators, he has no use for truth and it would appear he thinks of only himself and his family. I fully expect him to fire the Special Prosecutor in the near future. His ignorance is overwhelming and he seems to have bullied his way through life.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 26 Dec 2017, 08:13

If he fires the Special Prosecutor, he'll effectively admit guilt. Could he get away with it? The Republicans, being in the majority, don't seem inclined towards impeachment or other form of removal from office. On the other hand, some commentators reckon he'll leave office of his own will just because he's fed up with the job.

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 27 Dec 2017, 03:52

I don't know Perrorist, it's hard to tell about someone with a physopathic personality and I believe he is one. If the special prosecutor begins to close in on him or his family, he might think it may be a path to self preservation. It would not surprise me. Or if someone he likes suggested to Trump he is doing an outstanding job and further suggest he get rid of the prosecutor to teach these intelligence people a lesson or something similar, he' easily influenced, I think.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Jan 2018, 11:15

I find it incredible to believe that any party would put him in place as their leader without an ulterior motive.
What advantage is it to the Republicans to have a seemingly irresponsible leader?
What advantage is it to Trump to appear irresponsible?
Perhaps he is already copying and beating Kim Jong-un at his own game - appearing to be a wild card threat?
"I'm more insane than you, so there!"

I don't think it's all an act, however. He has the basic attributes (ignorance, bullying, etc) necessary. But perhaps the actual actions are more role play than we realise.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Jan 2018, 13:01

He's infantile. He doesn't have a strategy. His attention span is less than that of a mozzie. He's boastful and constantly in need of praise.

The Republican party, especially the Tea Party element, are happy to let him do what he's doing, until he crashes. They have Pence in reserve.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Jan 2018, 17:39

I'm afraid so. But still look to ulterior motives by some! :eek
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 03 Jan 2018, 17:53

I dont see Pence as being any kind of attractive alternative to Trump.....he might be a little less outragious in his comments, but he has his own set of flaws and idiosyncracies for the world to contend with.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Jan 2018, 18:37

Quite true. He's not quite as childish as Trump, but his ideas align with the Tea Party, the major faction in the Republicans.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 04 Jan 2018, 11:56

Here is a fascinating account of the early days of Trump's presidency. It's long, but well worth reading:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... trump.html

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 05 Jan 2018, 16:02

What's most surprising in all of this is just how unsurprising it is. Mr. Trump has long employed a management style in which he's pitted his employees against one another, provoking palace intrigue, backstabbings and generally an environment where loyalty to anyone but himself is eradicated, leaving his businesses, and certainly his administration, dysfunctional environments. All of this is exacerbated, however, as the Trump administration isn't united by any particular philosophy, goal or even a desire to improve the country, but is rather a collection of individuals looking to use its power and influence to enrich or empower themselves.

Those individuals certainly take their cue from Mr. Trump, who seems devoid of any principles or philosophies of his own. Just as he chased riches by hawking vodka and steaks, the President won power with a reactionary agenda that leveraged growing fear of immigrants and Muslims rather than promoting any plan for the future.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... e37500749/
I dream, therefore I am.